New York Giants Select OT Matt McCants in Round 6 of 2012 NFL Draft

April 28th, 2012 at 5:06 PM

With their sixth pick (201st overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft, the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants have selected offensive tackle Matt McCants out of UAB.

McCants was a three-year starter at AUB and earned All-Conference USA first-team honors his senior season. His frame is ideal for the position, but he'll need to bulk up considerably to succeed in the NFL.

Prior to joining the high school football team his senior year, McCants was a tuba player who had never played a single down of football on any level. That speaks to his overall athleticism, which is raved about for a man his size, but something that will still need to be refined at the next level.

While at the NFL Combine, McCants actually hurt his stock by managing only 17 reps at 225 lbs. However, he did improve his 40-yard dash time from 5.52 seconds to 5.45 seconds, which was one of his prime objectives going into the day.

"I think I showed the scouts that I have some ability, some athleticism," McCants said.

McCants is the second tackle the Giants have drafted on day three, having previously selected Brandon Mosley in round four.

Tags: 2012 NFL Draft, Football, Matt McCants, New York, New York Giants, NFL

57 Responses to “New York Giants Select OT Matt McCants in Round 6 of 2012 NFL Draft”

1 2 3 4
  1.  norm says:

Another freakin’ tackle??

They’re going to have to build an extra stadium to house ‘em all.

One of these tackles projects as a guard?

3.  norm says:

It’s highly unlikely that this guy makes the team.

Practice squad filler, at best.

4.  norm says:

“Give us your tired, your poor, your tackles.”

-Jerry Reese

5.  G-MenFan says:

I was hoping that Reese would take a flier on Vontaze Burfict there.

6.  norm says:

I loves me some Reese, but I gotta admit… I’m just not feelin’ these last two picks at all.

•  Hanshi says:

Me either but I wasn’t fellin’ JPP at the time so, what do I know?

•  norm says:

Well, I guess this is where the “trust” part of the “In Reese We Trust” mantra gets put to the test.

I know he’s not just throwing dung against the wall in the war room. I’m sure there’s a plan. But most of the time, I can see him working… even if I’m not in total agreement with his thinking.

But this year’s apparent “You can never have too many tackles” approach has me utterly befuddled.

Hopefully, we’ll learn more from his comments in the post-draft presser.

7.  Hanshi says:

Where’s our DE/Passrusher this year? You can never have enough.

Matt McCants
    Height: 6-5? | Weight: 308 | 40-Time: 5.52

Official Bio

Strengths:
    • Extraordinary arm length
    • Quick feet for a player his size
    • Balanced in run and pass protection
    • Elite range as a tackle
    • Ability to get bigger and stronger

Weaknesses:
    • Extremely raw physically and mentally
    • Sloppy footwork against speed rushers
    • Not as strong as upper-body appears
    • Lower level of competition
    • Takes poor angles

Injury History:
    • None

Notes:
    Did not play football until senior year of high school — 2010 and 2011 First Team All-Conference USA — Sat out 2008 due to academics — Played tuba in his high school marching band before joining the football team — Extremely raw left or right tackle who could develop into a starter.

NFL Player Comparison: Sebastian Vollmer

9.  kujo says:

Been at work all day. My father is ready to organize a revolution against Reese. He absolutely HATES this draft. I liked the first 2 days but I’m not so sure about today’s picks. Robinson could be good. The tackles? Meh. Hopefully one of them projects to a guard or something.

It’s great to win the Superbowl … but it makes the ensuing draft painful as we watch all the dirtbag teams select ahead of us.

1 2 3 4