New York Giants Acquire Keith Rivers from Cincinnati Bengals for 5th Round Pick

April 11th, 2012 at 2:00 PM

From internet rumor to done deal in less than 24 hours, the New York Giants have acquired linebacker Keith Rivers from the Cincinnati Bengals for a 5th round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Rivers, who was drafted in the first-round (9th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals, has struggled with a variety of unrelated injuries since entering the league. He suffered a broken jaw as a result of a blind-side hit courtesy of then Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, as well as a foot injury, calf injury and wrist injury that caused him to miss the entire 2011 season.

There had been some concern that Rivers' wrist injury was a chronic issue and something that might prevent him from passing a physical, but the Giants appear confident that he's recovered and will enter the 2012 season completely healthy.

The former USC Trojan is scheduled to earn a $2.16 million base salary next year, but it's possible that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. may rework his contract. However, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily news reports that an extension will not be a part of the deal. He will become a free agent after the 2012 season.

Primarily an outside linebacker in Cincinnati, it's unknown where Rivers projects to play in New York. There had been some talk about the team moving Michael Boley to middle linebacker, which would allow Rivers to play on the outside, but coming out of college he also projected as a MIKE on a 4-3 defense that plays a lot of cover 2.

In 35 career games, Rivers has collected 186 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and nine stuffs.

Finalizing and paperwork filing will be completed by days end, making this deal "official."

Tags: Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bengals, Football, Keith Rivers, New York, New York Giants, NFL

37 Responses to “New York Giants Acquire Keith Rivers from Cincinnati Bengals for 5th Round Pick”

1.  wlubake says:

FYI – River’s 2012 cap number is $2,405,000. His contract has a club option for 2013 at $2M.

•  wlubake says:

Boley, Rivers, Williams, Kiwi, & Herzlich. Am I missing any other people sure to be on the roster? To me Sintim, Paysinger and Tracy are far from locks. Not sure they won’t still look to draft a LB in a couple weeks.

I think Paysinger is in pretty good shape. He made it over drafted guys just like Herzlich but there’s just more depth at WLB. I guess he’s not a lock but a very good bet to make the roster.

2.  norm says:

Me likee.

Well played, Mr. Reese.

•  norm says:

And if one considers that the Giants fifth rounder this year is actually more of a sixth rounder, this deal looks even better.

Boley, Williams, and Rivers could well turn out to be the fastest group of LBs in the NFL.

•  F0XLIN says:

Close to a 13.5 overall 40 time I would say they are the fastest. Reese seeing the need for cover LB’ers with the athletic TE’s in the league, this is a great move.

3.  Samardzija says:

So he has a contract for this year and an “option” for next year?

•  wlubake says:

I’ve seen it listed as both a club option and a “voidable” sixth year. It would depend on what conditions make it voidable, I suppose. A trade may be one.

I’m not sure this move keeps us from re-signing Goff at the right price. But I do think it means Blackburn is likely gone. Rivers offere similar ability to play multiple positions but posses far great talent than Blackburn.

I think this is a great move. I must also note that I said as soon as this rumor came out that my bet was that Reese would offer a #5, the Bengals would want a #3, and Reese would walk if he didn’t get what he thought was a bargain. Once again, Reese proves he’s a great poker player.

Assuming Rivers passes his Giants’ physical the team now has a great group of fast linebackers in Boley, Williams, Paysinger and Rivers so they will be in great shape playing the nickel and having both depth and a rotation there that can work. This also allows the staff to be much more creative in the use of Herzlich, Kiwi and Jones, and it definitely puts Osi into play as a pre-draft trade.

Things could get very, very, interesting here.

Oh, almost forgot. I am suddenly interested in knowing more about Coples, Mercilus, Ingram, Perry and Branch. Like I said, things could get interesting.

I see you share my view. While I want to keep Osi I think this is a signal they he really could be traded. Plus added that things have been so quiet on his front.

I like this deal but I don’t like the Rivers only has one year left on his deal. With our salary cap situation he’s gone if he plays well because we will likely have more important players to sign.

•  wlubake says:

Won’t bother me if we have another Lombardi in the trophy case.

We need to keep some talent because I think we will continue to lose some talent we don’t want to lose but just can’t afford.

7.  wlubake says:

Unrelated, but Don Banks has a new Mock Draft up. It’s almost like he read my criticism of the last one and changed it to make me happy. Few complaints here, except maybe that Brockers fell so low.

8.  norm says:

For my money, Rivers represents a much better return on a fifth round pick than either Bomar or Darius Reynaud.

Hopefully, Rivers works out better than either of those two. But even if he busts, it’s still a low risk/high reward move. But in this case, the potential height of the reward is significantly higher than it was in the drafting of Bomar or the trade for Reynaud… even though the risk (5th rd pick) is the same.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well call me negative Nancy, but I am less excited as some of you guys.

On the previous thread I wasn’t comparing Goff’s injury to Rivers Injuries… I was simply stating that Rivers gets injured. Some guys just can’t stay on the field.

And when he’s on the field he’s been ok.

I dunno… I’ll have to see him make a play or two before I pass more judgement. But I see Lavar 2.0

•  Samardzija says:

Its a fifth rounder lol. Its not like we traded away a top ten pick.

•  norm says:

Dude, relax.

It cost us nothing more than a fifth round pick. It’s doubtful anyone the Giants could have drafted at the bottom of the fifth would have had as much upside (and, please, don’t say Burfict)

If he restructures his deal to something the team can live with under the cap, it’s a GREAT move. And if things don;t work out? Well, they’re out a fifth round pick. No biggee.

•  kujo says:

He’s just salty because this probably means we won’t be drafting his Mancrush on Vontaze Burfict.

Let’s see. Rivers for the #165 (approximately….I don’t know how many comp picks are ahead of us) pick is a bad idea, but Burfict is a good idea? See, THIS is why I think it’s good to remember posters’ track records when looking at new posts. This guy has such a hard-on for Burfict that he can no longer think straight. But don’t worry BigBlue, there have been many before you (and will be many after you) who get fixated on a player and can not be objective in regard to that one guy. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’m still wondering where Gerris Wilkinson will show up and prove he can play.

It’s the risk. For a 3rd rounder I understand but it’s a 5th rounder. And given we pick last its almost a 6th round pick. Low risk move and great upside than Goff.

I think with this move we should officially move Sintim and/or Tracy to DE. I’m saying they will be impact players at DE but now it seems clear they won’t have any chance for playing time at SLB even with a good training camp. Both players were known as pass rushers when drafted and making such a shift now would allow them to put on some weight to be true DEs.

Impact players? I don’t disagree that one should be moved forward, but I don’t see either as an impact player. Sintim might have been pre-injuries, but I don’t see that now. Tracy? That’s based on what? I don’t remember ever seeing him play except against some depth players in the preseason.

It’s called bad typing. It should have said “I’m not saying they will be impact players at DE.” So I agree with your comment.