New York Giants Release Running Back Brandon Jacobs

March 9th, 2012 at 4:00 PM

The New York Giants will release running back Brandon Jacobs on Friday night, reports Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger.

“Brandon helped us win two world championships,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “He always did what was in the best interest of team. No matter what you asked him to do, he performed and played in whatever role we asked him to perform. He really was a team player."

This comes as no real surprise after Jacobs felt "insulted" earlier this week when the team offered him a restructured deal rumored to be around the $2 million range.

"Maybe he would have taken $3 million [annually]," a source told Giants 101 earlier this week. "Maybe."

Jacobs, a fourth-round pick of the Giants in the 2005 NFL Draft, will end his tenure with the team fourth all-time in rushing yards (4,849) and first all-time in rushing touchdowns (56).

The bruising back was scheduled to earn a $4.4 million base salary in 2012 as well as a $500,000 roster bonus on March 17th, but knew in order to stay with the team he'd have to restructure his deal. He was openly willing to take less to remain with the Giants, but noted he wouldn't "sell his soul" to make that happen.

"I might be leaving, but my name will stay. The fans have been great for me. Everything has been good. A standup organization," Jacobs said.

Two of the three teams already rumored to be interested in Jacobs are the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons. Interestingly enough, a source informed Giants 101 on Tuesday that Jacobs was planning to move to Atlanta if he and the Giants did not reach an agreement.

UPDATE: Paul Schwartz reports the two sides got within $500,000 of a new deal, but couldn't get any closer.

Get 21% off all GMENshirt purchases through Sunday!

Giants 101 and GMENshirts.com have teamed up to bring a unique deal to all G101 readers and Giants fans alike. Now through Sunday they will be giving 1% off for every point Big Blue scored in the Super Bowl for a total of 21% off. Use promo code GNTSXLVI!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

55 Responses to “New York Giants Release Running Back Brandon Jacobs”

1 2 3
  1.  LUZZ says:

I really wanted him back, but $3M seems a bit much for a 6-8 carry a game guy. I hope there is a chance he comes back around to us but I suppose the odds of that are slim.

2.  BigBlueGiants says:

boooooooooooo…

3. Rick Hanshi says:

Michael Bush?

4.  LUZZ says:

would Bush be cheaper than BJ?

5.  LUZZ says:

The worst part about this is that it gives DJ Ware an increased shot at another year on our roster – puke

6. Dave CoughlinFoxlin21 says:

I think they will give Andre Brown a chance to win the job

7. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Wow….I am shocked!

I have always loved Brandon Jacobs. He, and the other Steve Smith, were probably my two favorite Giants of the last decade. Jacobs’ heart, his mouth, his passion, and his physical style of play made him a fan favorite and a guy that was beloved in that locker room. I don’t ever want to hear anyone on G101 bash this guy. No revisionist bullsh*t! This guy was a HORSE and the person who set the tone for this offense over the last 6 years or so.

8. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Fair thee well, Brandon Jacobs. You were a GREAT Giant, and I am proud to own a Super Bowl XLII jersey to prove it!

It’s the tough move JR has to make. I think the move if for the best. That’s not to say Jacobs didn’t add skills or leadership. But I feel that the unit needed new blood. As F55 & Jim discussed a few threads ago Bradshaw not being a #1 RB forces us to need more from our other RBs. Which means we need more out of our 1B RB than Jacobs can provide at this pointof his career. I wish him the best. If he doesn’t sign with a divsion rival I will still root for him but no matter where he signs I won’t have any bad feelings for him. Jaocbs was an underrated Giant but it was probably a good time to cut ties.

10. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

So, with Eli’s $7 mil restructure, and Jacobs’ $5 mil salary dump, we probably find ourselves, what, $5 mil under the cap? I imagine we restructure/dump a few more salaries in the next few days, giving Reese something in the neighborhood of $10-15 mil to play with.

Are we going to make a play at a big free agent here?

• Rick Hanshi says:

Martellus Bennett?

If we re-sign TT, Goff, Thomas and a handful of other minor free agents that eats up most of that space. Then we probably sign a TE for a few Mil. And we might extend someone like Cruz, Nicks or JPP.

1 2 3