NFL Fines Giants’ Brandon Jacobs $10,000

September 21st, 2010 at 4:28 PM

New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs has been fined $10,000 by the league for throwing his helmet into the stand during Sunday’s 38-14 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Although Jacobs said it was nothing more than an accident, some of the fans in attendance claim Jacobs was jawing back and forth with them prior to the helmet landing six rows off the field. However, a Giants fan in attendance who was near the “scene of the crime” claims that wasn’t the case, and that Jacobs was very “apologetic” to the fans.

Following the game, ESPN rapidly spread rumors that Jacobs would soon demand a trade. We now know (perhaps not so surprisingly) that is not the case.

“I talked to Jerry and coach Coughlin yesterday,” Jacobs said in the statement. “Both of them asked to speak with me. I didn’t request a meeting with them. I have not demanded a trade and have no plans to demand a trade. The only demand I am making right now is of myself, to be the best player I can be and to help this team win.”

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, NFL

139 Responses to “NFL Fines Giants’ Brandon Jacobs $10,000”

1 2 3 ... 6
  1. Jim StollJim Stoll says:

if they would turn Jacobs into a pass protecting RB and the second TE he might just have the chance do help the team

•  Samardzija says:

They might as well cut him in and bring in a scrub TE instead.

•  demo3356 says:

right..because Jacobs is obviously bright enough to learn a brand new position with all new responsibilities at this point in his career..

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

I just want a big body on the edge so that when whoever it is that runs by Diehl before he moves out of his stance, there’s a chance someone will be there for first contact other than Eli

the one thing jacobs can due is pass block in the backfield

2. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Nothing wrong with Jacobs that a few holes between the tackles wouldn’t solve. The problem is O’Hara and Seubert, and Hedgecock, and a failure to make more use of passes out of the I-formation, not Jacobs.

3.  FactCheck says:

FF55y: This is starting to sound like the US Congress! And no one wants to stoop to that level.
    ————

That, my good Sir, is an insult on my character. Pistols at dawn.

4.  FactCheck says:

Speaking of the running game, any clues on when Boss is due back? I think the O line is missing him far more than anyone figured.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Fully agree. Boss is a VERY valuable part of both the run and pass game and is not appreciated nearly enough.

He says he should be back this week. I’d hold him out, much as it pains me, for another week and have him play in Week 4. I’m worried about that kid.

5. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Seubert is pretty decent when he’s pulling. He really cannot do much against the bigs when he has to move them one way or the other. Andrews is a much better bet at LG.

Whether it’s his injury or he got old prematurely, O’Hara is doing nothing at center. I think it’s his injury, but they cannot use that as an excuse. What scares me is that this coaching staff stuck with Pierce for two years past his sell-by date because they liked his on-the-field brain. They like O’Hara’s too. But a center who can’t “influence” a DT or chip him and get to the MLB isn’t worth spit.

They really need to get Andrews in at RG and then put O’Hara, Seubert and Koets in real competition for the center position. If O’Hara is their best option, so be it. But the O’Hara we’ve seen for the first two games of this season is not getting the job done. The backs can’t do very much if the interior line cannot prevent penetration by the defense or open up even a small gap for a second.

6.  Samardzija says:

Speaking of, well nothing. Annyone seen Boardwalk Empire yet?

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

I saw a special preview of the opening episode. It was incredibly good. I get HBO at my city place but not my other house so I won’t usually see it (no, I record nothing because I know I’ll never watch it anyway), but it looks incredible.

• Demitri ZoubroulisTURKISH says:

The 1st episode was really good. Looks like we have a winner.

• Demitri ZoubroulisTURKISH says:

Falcons signed RB Gartrell Johnson

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

To practice team or roster? I would really hate to lose any chance to get that guy back, if only for special teams and short yardage.

I would have liked him on the 3rd-and-2 that we were afraid to run on early in Indy. If you cannot make a first down 80%+ of the time in that situation by running then you just don’t have a very good running game.

7.  LUZZ says:

FF55 – have you ever coached football on any level? As a former coach myself, I suspect you have a decent amount of experience breaking down film. Am I correct?

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Nah, really just a pretty savvy ex-quarterback who was mediocre enough that I had to be smarter than everyone to succeed at all. I learned every position on the team and what their responsibilities were so I had much better anticipation than anyone else. That made me look far better than my talent would have suggested.

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

I’d opt for putting Koets in straight up
        He did a pretty nice job in the Pats game – for whatever that is worth and O’Hara (who I always thought was overrated to begin with) looks, well, like a guy playing on one leg
        if Andrews is ready (whatever that means) I’d put him in for Seuibert immediately

but your comment above about Coughlin and his guys is of course the very point
        you have to get in coughlin’s doghouse to get pulled
        you don’t get there by playing poorly
        maybe if you throw your helmet in the stands, but letting your QB get rocked play after play after play — fuggetaboudit

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

I’ll leave the decision about the center to the coaches, provided they’re forced to allow a real competition. I suspect that, right now, Koets wins it but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it. The question is how much O’Hara could regain if he rests for 2-3 weeks or if this is a problem that just won’t get better.

Do you remember my pounding the table for a drafted center over the past two years because I think it’s a critical decision and I didn’t see O’Hara’s successor on the roster? Chickens coming home to roost.

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

yup
            I’ve always thought this O-Line was overrated because they’ve never been great pass blockers, especially against edge rushers, and they are abysmal against the blitz
            what they use to be able to do was run block
            now they can’t seem to do that
            if you can’t run block or pass block, its asking a lot of your QB, RBs and WRs to perform

8. Terence CAVILLGIANTT says:

I find myself in the curious position with agreeing with Jim Stoll about using Jacobs as a TE on the edge . What shall I do ? heavens to Murgatroyd .
    I think that the first time Jacobs went out there and chip blocked an end and suddenly got the ball in his hands out in the open would be a wakeup call for him Dont tell me he couldnt be taught quickly if it meant getting the ball in his hands more and we could get Jacobs and Bradshaw on the field at the same time .

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Why stop there? How about Jacobs as a true H-back who can go in motion to block or get a short pass, or stay put and get the ball or block for AB? That wouldn’t make sense as a regular diet (Jacobs isn’t a receiver, he doesn’t know pass patterns and his hands aren’t great), but as a change-up it wouldn’t be bad.

Call Gilbride Jr and suggest it.

•  Dirt says:

He’s my pick for Wildcat QB

9. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Okay, I’ve got something legit to worry about right now. Mo is slumping and can’t find his pin-point control all of a sudden. Tex has a bum hand and no power. Posada is the worst fielding catcher in the history of baseball except when Carlton Fisk dies and they stick him behind the plate at Fenway as a permanent monument (and perhaps not even then), and it’s not clear the Yankees really have even a third starter, much less a fourth one, who can be trusted in the post-season. But just like in the NFL, all you have to do is get to the playoffs and then just hope you’re the team that gets hot.

And the Mets might be stupid enough to bring that jerk Joe Torre back to New York. It would be a bad move for both sides, but at least Joe would come out of it with $10 million

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Welcome to the panic room. We’ve got beer and cashews.

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

now here you see you don’t have to worry
        because the alchemy always works in one direction for the Yankees
        the other for the giants
        and that is a fact
        (by always, I of course mean most of the time; by most of the time I of course mean on a regular enough basis that the rest of the league says it is unfair how often they win)
        no ankle-grabbing in baseball

•  Ghost of Gartrell says:

Anyone who likes the Mets or knows anyone who likes the Mets is well aware that Torre is a foregone conclusion. What do you expect? Their management to actually NOT pay a huge amount to bring in a guy bad at his job? What the hell is the matter with you FF55?

Not sure about anyone else, but I haven’t been too impressed by either Jacobs or Ahmad this season. Of course a lot, if not most, of that has to do with the fact that our o-line has been terrible and Hedgecock is riding the TC gravy train.

Meanwhile, I’ll soon be taking handoffs from Matty Ice for very hard-earned-looking two yard gains. And look for Mrs. Gartrell to get on Real Housewives of Atlanta. She’s pretty sure things are more civil there than G101.

10. Mark HaskellSparky says:

I like Jacobs and would not trade him like a lot of people are talking about. He can be very effective when used correctly. Is Bradshaw better at this point; yes but you have to ask why is he better, he is better because he can cut back when there isn’t a hole in front of him. He has to cut back and look for a different hole all the time (only exaggerating a little) why does this offense try to live on a cut back runner.

This line is not executing their blocks, I said this last week; the injury to O’Hare’s ankle will diminish his ability to push off and block effectively. He does not get anyone off the line, he is lucky if he maintains his position and the same thing goes for Seubert. I am really hoping Andrews sees this opportunity and seizes it because we need that former Pro-bowl lineman soon.

I agree with FF55 with the importance of Boss and his blocking ability (not to mention he was a comfortable safety valve for Eli) but I also agree that he should sit out for another game or two. I would rather have a clear minded Boss play twelve healthy games rather than ten games off and on.

As far as the coaching goes and their ability to implement anything Quinn and his abundant skills will win the three games that Gilbride looses with the rocket science offense that only Harvard grads can understand. (that should get FF55 going)

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

Sparks

I agree Jacobs would be better with holes than without — that seems true for anyone
      he would not be better than Bradshaw
      Jacobs has always been a myth
      he is a gigantic man for his position, a weird combination of height and weight
      but he is not a skillful runner
      he is not explosive out of his stance, he has no cut back ability, and when he does try to cur back his helmet ends up in the stands, he cannot slow down and reaccelerate, and most importantly perhaps, he is easy to bring down – much easier than Bradshaw

The myth of Jacobs is based soley and entirely on the fact that if a DB is foolish enough to tackle him chest high — and despite what every kid is taught in terms of tackling (i.e., low) it seems professionals by and large only tackle high (head hunting instincts perhaps) — they get run over pretty decisively
      it took DBs a season to figure that out
      guess what: mystery solved
      so yes, give Jacobs mammouth holes to run through and he’ll be effective
      give Bradshaw mammouth holes to run through and you’ld be talking league MVP

• Mark HaskellSparky says:

Jim

I am not talking about mammouth holes I am talking about four yards and the proverbially cloud of dust.

I understand that the league has evolved into a pass first offense, but I still think that a team needs that big back that gets those four yards on first down without having to cut back all the time. If you run those cut backs you are not setting “a tone” and a defense knows it.

Jacobs is more suited and built for that, don’t get me wrong I like Bradshaw a lot more than Jacobs and his abilities but I like the way they can set up each other when used correctly.

• Jim StollJim Stoll says:

but the big problem with Jacobs is you not only have to give him a hole, you have to get him 2+ yards across the line of scrimmage before first contact. and then you have to hope the tackler chosses to hit him high
          Jacobs is not a tough runner
          he’s a myth

now as for pass blocking — he’s a stud

1 2 3 ... 6