G101 Supports Special Olympics!

March 26th, 2009 at 6:43 PM
By Former G101 Writer

In the world of sports, the common fan or participant spends most if not all of his/her time following the big stars, their favorite team and the news of the league. They hone their skills, record stats and seek-out tickets to their team’s next home game. This is the world of sports, through and through…or is it?

Recently, through my full-time job, I got to learn a great deal about Special Olympics. While having always admired it, admittedly, I knew very little about the organization. However, this opportunity afforded me the chance to really learn about it and appreciate the incredible individuals that train and compete just like that of my favorite athletes. These people, while facing intellectual disabilities, have bigger hearts than most of the players I root for on any given Sunday.

Show your support!

So it is with great pride that I tell you about a new initiative that I’m getting involved with to help the efforts of the great folks over at Special Olympics. It is called “Spread the Word to End the Word” and focuses on encouraging people to stop the use of the R-word (retard)…culminating into a day of national awareness on March 31 (you can read more below)!

Per the official site:

“It is time to ‘Spread the Word to End the Word,’ and on Tuesday, 31 March, events throughout the United States and around the world will make people stop and think about their hurtful and disparaging use of the word ‘retard.’

Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. Using ‘retard’ as a term of derision is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.

Spread the Word to End the Word will raise the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the R-word and encourage people to pledge to stop using it. America will be asked to declare their support for more respectful and inclusive language, specifically that referring to those with intellectual disabilities.”

So we here on Giants101.com are taking the opportunity to pledge our support to Special Olympics’ and their new campaign…and we urge you to do the same. When you think about all the incredible individuals you watch on the field every Sunday, or at the NFL Combine, the NFL Draft, Super Bowl Sunday…just remember that there is another group of remarkable human beings that deserve the same (if not more) level of respect we give our favorite players.

Take a moment to visit R-word.org and also check out the Facebook page where you can join in and show your support. Giants101.com has always had a great group of readers behind it with intelligence and class…so I know this post will be met with those same traits.

Thank you and remember to please consider showing your support for this great cause!

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

176 Responses to “G101 Supports Special Olympics!”

1 2 3 ... 18
  1. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

I’ve been a supporter of Special Olympics for a long time (I was introduced to it many years ago by one of the Kennedys when the program was in its infancy) and just want to add that it is one of the best, and most effective, organizations out there. Sean is right…these kids and young adults who compete are a wonder to behold. Many of them have the kind of character that most of us, much less professional athletes, should aspire toward. Any support you give them will be well-used and much appreciated.

2. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Thanks FF55 – really appreciate the anecdote and support….definitely feel the same way and I can only hope the other comments are as great as yours was.

3. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Someone forward this post to the White House. They could use some education on the matter there.Big time supporter of the Special Olympics. Glad you are using this forum for such a positive purpose.

4. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Something that amazes me about the entire program is that when someone, who is pretty close minded, thinks about it…they think that it’s just some event where everyone gets a medal and it isn’t really competition.I remember reading something in Sports Illustrated a few years ago that had a huge thing on it…and it amazed me how many true athletes there were in there. There were power lifters who could bench more than a lot of people…other competitors were very fast in races…it really is mind boggling.I admit that before reading that and hearing others talk about it, I was one of the ones who figured it was just a place where kids would come together, get a ribbon, and that’s it…but that really isn’t the case. Yes, some just go to be with friends they’ve made, or to cheer others on…but there is a very large group involved who are actually really good. I may be rambling a bit, but that is the true adversity.Whether someone is going there to compete or just cheer others on…it is a very important event and I’m glad they’re getting publicity (and not the negative kind like Obama gave — yes, that joking around really ticked me off).

5. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

so is your bowling average “like special olympics” too ..lol poor obama everyone cries we want a regualr guy in the white house then when he shows he a regular guy on TV the critics murder him ..i’ve always supported special olympics and any charity pretty much but primarily special olympics, ronald mcdonald house and anything else to do with helping children or that helps cure cancer or heart disease ..thx for supporting them guys good luck raising money to help ..i’ll be joining on facebook as soon as i can

6. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Sean- Very well written. You know, I am only 18 so only a few years ago the (r-word) was a common name to call someone that you were mad at or didn’t like (in my school). Now I realize how wrong that actually is. My nephew was born a few years ago and the doctor’s though he was handicapped so that really made me understand the whole situation. It is a very good thing that you are doing and I support it.

7. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

My girlfriend is an occupational therapist… really raised my awarenes about this stuff. great to see some support

8. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Check the comments on this article..http://bleacherreport.com/articles/144445-new-aquisition-chris-canty-will-be-vital-to-a-giant-championship-run

9. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Fantastic organization, very well-written and a pleasure to see all the support thus far.Excellent seeing this get the attention it deserves.

10. OldG101UsersOldG101Users says:

Great piece Sean. Only being 20, I can only do so much in the area of charitable donations, but I am a huge advocate of it. The Special Olympics is an amazing organization and I’ve volunteered to help with them on several occasions. The kids and young adults are great and what they do is truly inspiring. Glad to see it’s receiving attention here.

1 2 3 ... 18