News Archives

Aaron Hernandez Destroyed Key Evidence in Homicide Investigation

June 20th, 2013 at 4:21 PM
By Serena Sanderson

'Aaron Hernandez' photo (c) 2011, Jeffrey Beall - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Police plan to go back to the home of New England Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez today with another search warrant. This time, they'll be looking for evidence that Hernandez intentionally destroyed his home security system and cell phone. And investigator, as well as other sources, say that Hernandez's lawyers handed the cell phone over to the police in pieces. The security system included video surveillance and the same investigator confirmed that it was intentionally smashed. Police are also interested in why Hernandez hired a team of maids to clean his home on Monday.

This new evidence came forward after police stated that Hernandez was not ruled out as a suspect in the death of Odin Lloyd. The 27 year-old Lloyd was a semi-pro football player for the Boston Bandits. He was friends with Hernandez and had been partying with him at a bar in Boston earlier in the night, along with two other men. The four men left the bar together, but only three of them arrived at Hernandez's home in North Attleborough that night. Lloyd's body was found in a clearing in an industrial park about a mile from Hernandez's $1.3 million home.

Authorities say that Lloyd was killed early Monday morning between the hours of 1:00am and 6:00am, but his body was not found until 5:30pm that evening.

"He [Hernandez] has not been ruled out. We are not calling him a suspect, but he is definitely not in the clear," said one police official close to the investigation. (ABCnews.com)

In response to that statement, Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel tweeted this:

Was just told this ABC News report is spot on. Things looking more bleak for Hernandez by the hour.

Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel)

It is clear that Hernandez is far from out of the woods in this case. Hernandez's lawyer, Michael Fee, released this statement:

"It has been widely reported in the media that the state police have searched the home of our client, Aaron Hernandez, as part of an ongoing investigation. Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion."

Meaning they don't want to say anything that might further incriminate Hernandez that the police haven't uncovered yet.

Hernandez has a history of violence, most recently in February 2013 a friend of Hernandez claimed that the NFL star had a gun that he was not legally allowed to own. Alexander Bradly said that the two were at a bar in Miami in February when they got into an arguement. Bradley alleges that Hernandez shot him in the face and right arm, causing him to lose his right eye and undergo multiple facial reconstructive surgeries. Bradley filed a lawsuit against Hernandez in June. No criminal charges have been filed in that case because Bradley did not tell authorities that Hernandez was the one who shot him. He claimed to not know who shot him.

The Patriots have their hands full with this one. The NFL career of 23-year-old Aaron Hernandez is likely over, and his life will never be the same. The Patriots, though, have to move on. With Rob Gronkowski recovering from surgery and Hernandez almost certainly not playing this fall, they're going to be on the lookout for a tight end capable of hitting the ground running.

Tags: Aaron Hernandez, Football, Michael Fee, New England, New England Patriots, NFL, North Attleborough, Odin Lloyd, Patriots, Pete Thamel

No related posts.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Login with: