Ron Borges of the Boston Herald reported that the Patriots will not use the franchise tag on Wes Welker. Placing the tag on Welker would have cost the Patriots $11.4 million for tagging him in a second straight season.
If the Patriots do use the franchise tag they will likely place it on right tackle Sebastian Vollmer or cornerback Aqib Talib. They have the next two weeks to decide whether or not to use the franchise tag.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Quick Look at New England Patriots 2013 Roster: Upcoming Free Agents
- Wes Welker and Logan Mankins Miss Practice
- Injuries Piling up as Patriots are Once Again Thin in the Secondary
- CB Aqib Talib Injures Hip in Victory Over Texans
- Patriots Beat Dolphins 28-0 Clinch First Round Bye