Dale Coyne Racing was penalized on Wednesday by INDYCAR for two infractions after Carlos Huertas' winning car failed post-race inspection on Saturday after Race 1 of the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston presented by the Greater Houston Honda Dealers.
The car was found to be in violation of Rule 126.96.36.199 (Rear Wing Height) and Rule 14.7.2 (Fuel Cell Capacity) of the Verizon IndyCar Series rulebook. The rear-wing height did not meet technical requirements and the fuel tank was found to be one-tenth of a gallon over capacity.
Dale Coyne Racing was fined $5,000 for each infraction for a total of $10,000.
Huertas went the final 39 laps of Race 1 on his final tank of fuel and two late race cautions helped him stretch his fuel mileage. INDYCAR deemed the extra capacity did not effect the outcome of the race. Race 1 ended after a time limit of 1 hour and 50 minutes which ended up being 80 laps instead of the originally scheduled 90 laps. The time limit was put in place after heavy rain hit the track before the race started.
“His fuel tank was over by a tenth-of-a-gallon and, in any of our calculations, we did not see where he had used up all of his fuel and that tenth-of-a gallon kept him in the race,” said INDYCAR President of Competition Derrick Walker. “We did not see by the numbers where that was enough to get him any more than a standard penalty.”
The 23-year-old rookie from Bogota, Columbia is currently 17th in the Verizon IndyCar Series points standings after jumping up to 13th after Race 1 in Houston. The team retired from Race 2 of the doubleheader after only a few laps due to an electrical issue and finished 23rd.Carlos Huertas, Dale Coyne Racing, Derrick Walker, IndyCar, IndyCar Series, Motorsports, Verizon IndyCar Series
- Helio Castroneves Wins Pole for Race 2 of the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston
- Simon Pagenaud Pulls Away for Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston Race 2 Win
- Simon Pagenaud Wins First Career IndyCar Series Pole for Race 1 of the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston
- Radical Driving Experience Announced for Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston
- Rookie Carlos Huertas Leads Columbian Sweep to Pick up First Career Verizon IndyCar Series Win
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cok