News Archives

Caterham Announces Driver Lineup to Headline Busy Day of Formula One News

January 21st, 2014 at 8:57 PM
By Mark Eddinger

The final two seats on the 2014 Formula One grid were filled on Tuesday by Caterham. Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson will be the duo driving for the team.

'Caterham F1' photo (c) 2013, Ian Dick - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Kobayashi, a 27-year-old from Japan, has made 60 career F1 starts from 2009 to 2012. He scored his lone podium finish in 2012 for Sauber at Suzuka Circuitland.

"It's a great feeling to be back as an F1 race driver and I'm really pleased it's with Caterham F1 Team,” said Kobayashi. “We've been talking to Cyril (Abiteboul, Caterham team principal) and Tony (Fernandes, Caterham chairman) since last year about driving for the team for 2014 and beyond."

Ericsson, a 23-year-old from Sweden, will be making his F1 debut for Caterham. He has driven the four previous seasons in the GP2 Series. Ericsson will be the first driver from Sweden to race in Formula 1 since Stefan Johansson did so in 1991.

“This is a very proud day for me and everyone who has helped make my F1 dream come true,” said Ericsson. “I'll be making the step up to F1 with Caterham F1 Team in 2014 and I'm already excited about the season ahead, and the first race in Australia in particular."
 
The decision to sign Kobayashi and Ericsson means that 2013 Caterham drivers Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde will not have race seats for 2014 in F1. On Tuesday it was announced that Giedo van der Garde will serve as the test and reserve driver for Sauber in 2014. 
 
Heikki Kovalainen was expecting to get one of Caterham's seats but did not. As of right now he does not have any other plans lined up for 2014.
 
Caterham also announced that American, Alexander Rossi, will continue to drive for the team in the GP2 Series and also will be one of the team's F1 reserve drivers along with Robin Frijns.
 
Paul di Resta lost his F1 ride with Force India and in 2014 will be returning to the DTM Series with Mercedes. He won the 2010 DTM title for Mercedes in 2010.
 
Also announced on Tuesday is that the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 6th will be run under lights at night. The Sakhir Circuit added lights last season and in 2014 on the tenth anniversary of the Bahrain GP will become only the second complete night race on the calendar joining Singapore which has hosted a night event since 2008. Abu Dhabi has hosted a GP that starts during the day and ends at night since 2009.
Tags: Alexander Rossi, Bahrain Grand Prix, Caterham, Charles Pic, Formula 1, Formula One, Giedo Van der Garde, Heikki Kovalainen, Kamui Kobayashi, Marcus Ericsson, Motorsports, Paul di Resta, Sauber

Related posts

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Login with: