On Monday Jorkai Motorsports announced that the team would enter into NASCAR and race the 2014 season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. The team will race in association with Jonathan Smith Racing with 27-year-old Jonathan Smith as the driver.
The team has aligned with 1 Legion Brands & Marketing to try to help them find sponsorship for the team.
Smith was a member of NASCAR's Drive for Diversity Program back in 2007 and raced in what is now the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East from 2007 to 2010. He scored three top 10 finishes in his 38 career starts with a best finish of fifth as Iowa Speedway in 2007.
Jorkai Motorsports is owned by J. Greg Lewis and under the mentorship of former NFL player Terance Mathis he was able to pursue his dream of owning a NASCAR team according to the teams website. The team has a goal of being a leader in motorsports diversity.
There was no announcement on the number of races the team will try to compete in during their first season in the Nationwide Series. Also there was no announcement of a car number or manufacturer that will be used by Jorkai Motorsports.
- NASCAR Releases 2014 Nationwide Series Schedule
- Kelly Admiraal to Make NASCAR Nationwide Series Debut at Phoenix
- NASCAR Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series Added to Preseason Thunder in 2014
- Jeb Burton to Make NASCAR Nationwide Series Debut at Kentucky Speedway
- Sponsor Sticks with Ty Dillon for 11 NASCAR Nationwide Series Races in 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/163r