It was another close heart-breaker for the injury plagued Michigan State men’s basketball team on Sunday. In his second game back from injury, Adreian Payne posted a game-high 24 points, including a huge three-pointer in the final seconds to tie the game. Then Wisconsin’s Traevon Jackson hit a pull-up for two points for the win with 2.1 left to go. Wisconsin won 60-58.
Along with his 24 points, Payne notched four rebounds. With that final three he surpassed 1000 points in his career as a Spartan.
Travis Trice followed with 13 points of his own. He also contributed two assist and four rebounds.
Gary Harris was held to six points for the game. He grabbed three steals, seven rebounds and two assists.
Denzel Valentine led the team on the glass with nine boards. He also notched four points and three assists.
Michigan State now sits at 20-4 overall for the season and 9-2 in conference play. Because the Michigan Wolverines lost as well this weekend, the two teams stay tied for the top spot in the Big Ten Standings.
The Spartans will host the Northwestern Wildcats on Thursday the 13th. The game will air live on the Big Ten Network at 7 pm Eastern Time.
- No. 7 Michigan State Spartans Edge Out No. 15 Iowa Hawkeyes in OT, 71-69
- No. 3 Michigan State Spartans Surge Past the Indiana Hoosiers, 71-66
- No. 7 Michigan State Spartans Falls to Georgetown Hoyas, 64-60
- No. 5 Michigan Straight Spartans Win Second Straight in OT, This Time Against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 87-75
- Michigan State Spartans Roll Over the Penn State Nittany Lions, 82-67
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17xy