Chelsea FC submitted a written bid for the England international on Tuesday, which has been rejected by David Moyes' Manchester United and reports had surfaced that Chelsea placed a bid of $15 million (£10m) plus Juan Mata or David Luiz.
Jose Mourinho has denied that any of his players were offered to United in part-exchange for Rooney and stressed the club had made an offer in the correct manner.
We don't want to make public the bid but it is just a certain amount of money and it doesn't involve players or players in the possibility of negotiation. No Juan Mata, no David Luiz. Now we have nothing more to say. We want the player, we made the bid and now it is up to Man United and we respect their decision.
I work with my players now, as I've done from day one. I trust my players, I'm happy with them, and that's what I have to do now.
We did what we had to do in a proper way, in an ethical way, and we're very happy with our behavior. It was clean.
Now I keep doing what I'm doing, working with my players, trying to improve my players, and we'll see what happens. Now he's with Man United, not with us.
From me no more comments with respect to Man United, my colleague David Moyes and my players.
Mourinho, when asked, went onto confirm that Chelsea's only current summer transfer target from now on is Wayne Rooney. As if it was a case of Rooney or nothing, he responded by saying:
Unless I was speaking Double Dutch last week, we said Wayne Rooney is not for sale.
It's hard to keep repeating myself but I will. Wayne is a Manchester United player and it will remain that way.
However, when news broke of Chelsea's bid for Rooney followed by the revelation that the 27-year-old is 'angry and confused' about further remarks made by David Moyes, which could be seen as implying that he is not the first-choice striker at Manchester United anymore.
David Moyes said:
Overall, my thought on Wayne is that if, for any reason, we had an injury to Robin Van Persie, we are going to need him and I want as many options as possible.
Rooney who had to fly home from Manchester United's pre-season tour of The Far East and Australia this week due to a hamstring injury has two years left on his current contract at the Old Trafford club, and is reportedly unhappy that chief executive Ed Woodward has publicly ruled out negotiating an extension for the player.
Tags: Bid, Chelsea FC, Contract, David Luiz, David Moyes, Ed Woodward, Jose Mourinho, Juan Mata, Manchester, Manchester United, Old Trafford, Premier League, Robin van Persie, Soccer, Wayne Rooney
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/xis