If the Detroit Red Wings are going to make the playoffs for a 23rd consecutive season, they will have to do so without their captain.
Henrik Zetterberg underwent surgery yesterday to remove a disk fragment. He will be out for eight weeks, which puts any potential return past the Red Wings' April 13 finale against the St. Louis Blues.
Zetterberg will be re-evaluated in eight weeks, but there's no guarantee that he will be able to return.
Zetterberg had played one game as Sweden's captain at the Olympic games, but woke up the next day in severe pain. He had been the Wings' leading scorer with 48 points (16 goals, 32 points) in 45 games.
- Injury Update: Henrik Zetterberg to Miss at Least Two Weeks
- Olympic Roundup: Henrik Zetterberg Scores Game-Winning Goal for Sweden
- Jimmy Howard, Henrik Zetterberg Lead Detroit Red Wings to Win
- Olympic Roundup: Daniel Alfredsson Scores Game-Winner for Sweden, Henrik Zetterberg Withdraws
- Three Questions: Second Half of Season, Playoffs (?!?!?!), and Awards Watch
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18iu