It's rare to see two goalies combine for a shutout in the NHL.
Gustavsson was given the start with Howard having played on Sunday in Washington. He stopped all eight shots in the first period, but had to leave the game due to experiencing dizziness.
Howard was then immediately pressed into relief, and didn't disappoint as he stopped all 16 shots that he faced, including a penalty shot by David Booth.
“Yeah, it was a little bit of a shock there,” Howard said of stepping in for Gustavsson. “But it was one of those things. Sometimes it’s easier to be surprised and go in and play.”
Justin Abdelkader scored the only goals of the game, as he broke a scoreless tie at 1:08 of the second as he snapped a shot past Eddie Lack for his seventh goal of the year. He later added an empty netter with 16 seconds left in the game to seal the victory, which was his eighth of the year.
NOTES: The last time that the Wings had two goaltenders combine for a shutout was October 27, 2001 when Manny Legace and Dominik Hasek combined to shutout the Nashville Predators 1-0…Gustavsson drove to a local hospital to get examined after leaving the game. He was eventually released…This was also the first game back from a suspension fro Canucks head coach John Tortorella, who was suspended for an altercation in the Calgary Flames dressing room on January 18.
- DET Henrik Zetterberg (Assist)
- VAN Eddie Lack (L, 28 Saves, .966 Save Percentage)
- DET Kyle Quincey
- Detroit Red Wings End Losing Skid with Win Over Vancouver Canucks
- Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks: Game Preview
- Detroit Red Wings Blank San Jose Sharks, but Fall in Shootout
- Detroit Red Wings Stun Chicago Blackhawks in Shootout Thriller
- Detroit Red Wings Trounce Ottawa Senators, Daniel Alfredsson Scores in Return to Ottawa
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17qs