The Red Wings have been losing a lot of games on home ice this season.
Judging by how this current five-game homestand is going, one wouldn't think that they were struggling at home, let alone at all.
It was the third win in the last four home games for the Wings, who had only won six out of 23 games at Joe Louis Arena this season prior to the current stretch.
“We’ve been trying to build off hard work and good habits, and I think that’s paying off here,” Kronwall said.
The Canadiens nearly took the lead early when Tomas Plekanec stole the puck from Daniel Alfredsson and raced in on a breakaway, but Alfredsson was able to prevent Plekanec from scoring before he went tumbling over Gustavsson.
Zetterberg cashed in on a 5-on-3 at 12:27 of the first when he ripped a one-timer from the point past the glove of Carey Price for his 16th goal of the season.
Sheahan made it 2-0 at 11:48 of the second after he picked off a pass in the neutral zone and raced in before beating Price with a wrister for his second goal of the season.
Brendan Gallagher scored the lone goal for the Candaiens, which came on a power play 1:08 after Sheahan's goal.
Kronwall added to the lead with his sixth goal of the season after getting a backhand feed from Nyquist and beating Price top shelf at 16:29.
Nyquist put the game out of reach with his eighth goal of the season at 18:41.
“Our team is playing harder." Mike Babcock said. "When you’ve got a belief system, it’s easier to play harder. When you don’t think you’re getting much done, it’s harder. Our group has been more committed, I believe, since the Winter Classic.”
NOTES: Nyquist has scored in each of the last three games
- DET Jonas Gustavsson (W, 30 saves, .968 Save Percentage)
- DET Niklas Kronwall (Goal, Assist)
- DET Henrik Zetterberg (PP Goal, Assist)
- Detroit Red Wings Vs. Montreal Canadiens: Game Preview/Red Wings De Detroit Vs Canadiens De Montréal: Aperçu Du Jeu
- Torrid Power Play Sparks Detroit Red Wings to Win Over Toronto Maple Leafs
- Detroit Red Wings Will Be Well Represented at Olympics
- Power Play Comes to Life for Detroit Red Wings in Win Over Philadelphia Flyers
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1733