Engelland was suspended for five games as a result of the hit.
What weighed into the decision was that Abdelkader sustained a concussion, and that Engelland was suspended in December 2011 for a similar violation.
Abdelkader has since returned to practice, but has yet to be cleared for contact.
Quincey was ejected from the game for the incident, which resulted in Getzlaf having to receive stitches.
It's really surprisng as to why Quincey wasn't suspended for his actions. Given that Getzlaf sustained an injury (albeit a minor one), and the fact that he was suspended in April 2012 for charging.
- Justin Abdelkader Injured After Illegal Hit from Deryk Engelland
- Trade Chatter: Kyle Quincey Likely on the Block
- Detroit Red Wings’ Teemu Pulkkinen Suspended for 4 Preseason Games
- Detroit Red Wings Prospect Teemu Pulkkinen to Have Disciplinary Hearing
- Short-handed Detroit Red Wings Blitzed by Pittsburgh Penguins in Preseason Action
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15q0