Here's the latest news and information from training camp as the Detroit Lions inch closer to practicing in pads.
- Running back Jahvid Best, a key component to Detroit's offense in 2012, still hasn't been cleared for contact yet, which has frustrated general manager Martin Mayhew. He says he is "surprised and disappointed" Best still hasn't been cleared for contact despite 9 1/2 months of inactivity following his last concussion. —Detroit Free Press
- Without Best in the fold, the situation at running back is starting to get a bit complicated again, especially considering Mikel Leshoure will sit out the first two games after his offseason troubles. Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated and The Detroit Sports Site analyzes what the Lions might do at running back to start the season and beyond. —The Detroit Sports Site
- The x-factor here might become Stefan Logan, who's electric speed could help in the backfield. Logan has been taking snaps at running back, and could see playing time at the position. —Mlive
- The general consensus around the league is the Lions' secondary will be their weakest link in 2012. According to Chris Houston, that might not be entirely true. Houston says the team's goal is to improve in the defensive backfield, and intimates other winning teams didn't have top secondaries when they achieved Super Bowl glory recently. Dave Birkett then backs that claim up with some interesting statistics. —Detroit Free Press
- One of the rookies looking to make an early impact in the defensive backfield is cornerback Dwight Bentley. The Detroit News' Bob Wojnowski profiles the Lions newcomer, and talks about how his toughness and dedication have helped him achieve his goal of making the NFL. What's next? Perhaps a starting spot. —Detroit News
- A bit of an injury update on the offensive line and beyond. Jeff Backus has his hand in a cast due to a broken thumb, meaning Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox are seeing starting reps at left tackle. Riley Reiff is taking snaps at right tackle with the second and third units. Erik Coleman remains sidelined (sore leg muscle) as does Best (concussion) and Leshoure (hamstring injury). —Detroit News
Tags: Chris Houston, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Erik Coleman, Football, Jahvid Best, Jason Fox, Jeff Backus, Mikel Leshoure, NFL, Riley Reiff, Stefan Logan
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/i52