The Cincinnati Reds needed someone to step up for Monday's game against the St. Louis Carindals, and they got one from Jay Bruce who went 2-for-5 with a homerun and four runs batted in to go along with a run scored. Unfortunately, it was really the lone bright spot as the Reds fell by a score of 6-5 in extra innings at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
The loss put the Reds three games under .500 (61-64), and put them back a season-high nine games behind the NL Central leader Milwaukee Brewers.
"I know nobody wants to hear it when you're three games under .500 and you're fading in the division right now, but I'll tell you, they fight every day," Reds manager Bryan Price said.
The Reds were dealing with a two tough losses on Sunday before making it to St. Louis early Monday morning.
"Considering how we lost those two games yesterday and got in at 4 o'clock this morning to the hotel, they came out early to the ballpark, busted their tails and lost in extra innings in a tough way," said Price. "It stinks to lose, but I'm proud of our guys."
"I think we came out ready. We've had trouble holding leads lately," said Bruce. "There were some opportunities I don't think we took advantage of. It's the way the ball has been bouncing lately. I personally had a good game but at the end of the day, it's not what it's about. It's about winning games. They're more of a premium than they have been at this point in the season and we needed that one."
"I'm not going to hammer you with all the silver lining stuff. Everybody is sick of losing," Price said.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- It was All About Homer at Great American Ballpark as Cincinnati Reds Top St. Louis Cardinals 5-3
- Chris Heisey’s Walk-Off Single Gives Cincinnati Reds 1-0 Win Over St. Louis Cardinals; Bryan Price Gets First Managerial Win
- Opening Day Celebration Cut Short as Cincinnati Reds Fall to St. Louis Cardinals 1-0
- Brandon Phillips Activated Before Cincinnati Reds Take on St. Louis Cardinals
- Mike Leake Makes Debut, Jay Bruce Homers in 4-3 Loss to Chicago White Sox
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1epk