He retired the side in order including a strikeout of Didi Gregorious to end the game which extended his consecutive appearances with at least one strikeout to 45 straight games, already a record. His streak dates back to August of 2013. The 26-year old has struck out 67 batters in just over 33 innings of work this season.
"I didn't know it until I heard it when he was coming off the field," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "I had no idea he was accumulating them at that rate. I don't really go back and do a ton of statistical reflection on our players as far as milestones. It was terrific to see and certainly what I hope is the first 100 of many more."
"Some are chosen; some people came to this game to make history," Reds catcher Brayan Pena said of Chapman. "Some people came to this game to leave their prints forever in the game. And what we're watching, I believe, in my humble opinion, is one of those, especially with the streak of appearances with a strikeout."
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Aroldis Chapman Sets MLB Record with 40 Straight Appearances with Strikeout
- After Long Absence Aroldis Chapman Finally Activated from Disabled List
- Aroldis Chapman and Homer Bailey Put on Clinic, Cincinnati Reds Quiet Rockies Offense in 4-1 Win
- Game Called in Sixth Inning After Aroldis Chapman Hit by Line Drive
- Aroldis Chapman Undergoes Surgery for Facial Fracture
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dy7