The Cincinnati Reds placed Devin Mesoraco on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday after the staring catcher strained his left hamstring scoring on a Billy Hamilton double in Friday's 5-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves.
With the move, the Reds also recalled catcher Tucker Barnhart from Triple-A Louisville.
"It just isn't something that's going to be better in three-to-five days, it's probably every bit of 10-14," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "We really can't go without a second full-time catcher. Neftali Soto can catch, but we're not going to turn a full game over to him. We need Tucker here to support Brayan Pena."
Mesoraco started the season on the disabled list because of a strained left oblique. Since his return in early April, the young star has been on fire. In 13 games, Mesoraco is hitting .468 with three home runs and 13 RBIs this season. He also went on a career-high 11-game hitting streak in his return that was snapped late last week.
"This one, it's so hard to tell right now because it's so early," Mesoraco said. "In the next couple of days, we'll see how it responds to the treatment and everything. My goal is to be back on the 16th day. I want to be back as soon as I possibly can be. That's my focus at this point."
This is the second time that Barnhart has been a part of the Major League club. In three games earlier this season, Barnhart made eight plate appearances collecting two hits. He was batting .250 with one homer and five RBIs in 13 games in Triple-A.
"They had to pull my stuff off the bus just as it was getting ready to leave the parking lot," Barnhart said. "I felt like I was playing pretty well and things were going good."
Veteran Brayan Pena will most likely take over the everyday catching duties while Mesoraco is nursing his injury. Barnhart should find some time throughout his call up both on pinch-hitting duties and starting a couple games.