Since Emilio Bonifacio’s went on the disabled list the Chicago Cubs have had to shake up their starting outfield and the results haven’t been pretty. The group that manager Rick Renteria has opted to go with most recently is the trio of Ryan Sweeney, Nate Schierholtz and Chris Coghlan. You would be pretty hard pressed to find a group struggling as badly as these guys.
Not only is this trio struggling at the plate but Sweeney and Coghlan are even having trouble fielding the ball. Most good outfielders have fielding percentages above .980. This year is just not their year.
Early on, each of these outfielders was considered to have a bright future; Ryan Sweeney and Nate Schierholtz were both second round draft picks in 2003 by the Chicago White Sox and San Francisco Giants (respectively), and Chris Coghlan was the Miami Marlins (then Florida Marlins) first round selection in the 2006 draft and was the National League Rookie of the Year in 2009. But none of these players have been able to achieve the sustained success that was expected of them. Already, this group has cost the Cubs nearly two wins this year (sabermetrically). So in honor of the mediocrity of this group we have compiled a list of trios who also came up a bit short.
1. Jason Heyward, Justin & B.J. Upton – hit combined .248 in April 2014, $33.5 million in total salary for 2014
2. Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Hanley Ramirez – Played just 275 combined games for the 2012 Los Angeles Dodgers (out of a possible 486)
3. Adam Dunn, Alex Rios, Gordon Beckham – hit a combined .209 for the 2011 Chicago White Sox (1,451 ab)
4. The Three Little Pigs – each had his house blown down by the Big Bad Wolf
5. Felipe Lira, Greg Gohr & Brian Williams – combined 6.12 ERA in 407.1 IP for 1996 Detroit Tigers
6. The Three Wise Men – Arrived more than a year late to Jesus’ birthday party
7. ABC’s – made obsolete by spellcheck & autocorrect
Have your own trios? Comment below or post them on our Facebook page!
- Travis Wood Can Swing the Lumber
- Chicago Cubs are Showing Signs of Improvement
- Chicago Cubs Know How to Shut the Door
- Cubs That Need to Go, Part 1
- Chicago Cubs Promote Kris Bryant to AAA
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cbh