The Chicago Blackhawks were in Phoenix Friday night to take on the Coyotes in their last game prior to the Olympic break. With the 1980 United States Olympic team in attendance, the Coyotes seemed motivated right out of the gate and scored a power play goal just over one minute into the game. The teams would exchange chances throughout the first period, with each goaltender making some nice saves.
The Coyotes carried a 1-0 lead into the second period and they would add to that lead late in the second period on a power play goal during a 5-on-3 advantage. Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford was unintentionally hit on the helmet by a Coyotes stick and the goal followed. Crawford pleaded his case, but to no avail.
The Blackhawks would continue to try and muster a comeback, but Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith was having none of that. Smith was very impressive as he stopped all 30 shots he faced on the night, picking up his second shutout of the season and third career shutout against the Blackhawks.
The Blackhawks fall to 35-11-14 with the loss and finish their six-game road trip with a 3-1-2 record. The Coyotes move to 27-20-10 and have now won two of their last three games. The Blackhawks win the season series 2-1 against the Coyotes.
01:09 PHX PPG: Keith Yandle (7) assisted by Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette
18:29 PHX PPG: Radim Vrbata (14) assisted by Mike Ribeiro and Keith Yandle
Here are some notes from the game:
- This is the first time the Blackhawks have been shut out in 127 games.
- Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford stopped 24 of the 26 shots he faced, with both goals coming on the power play.
- Newly acquired forward Peter Regin played just over 11 minutes for the Blackhawks, recording one shot and two blocked shots.
- Coyotes defenseman Derek Morris left the game in the first period with an upper-body injury. The Coyotes finished the game with just five defensemen.
The Blackhawks are now off for two and a half weeks due to the Sochi Olympics.
NEXT GAME: Thursday, February 27 @ New York Rangers. 6 pm. CT start
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Outlast Phoenix Coyotes in Shootout, Win 5-4
- Phoenix Coyotes (13-4-2) at Chicago Blackhawks (12-2-4)
- Chicago Blackhawks (35-10-14) at Phoenix Coyotes (26-20-10)
- Chicago Blackhawks (19-4-4) at Phoenix Coyotes (15-6-4)
- Corey Crawford Records First Shutout of Season as Chicago Blackhawks Defeat Anaheim Ducks 2-0
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17v3