The Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks got together in a Western Conference battle Saturday night. Both teams came into the game struggling and the struggles would continue. Each team had several chances throughout the game, but couldn't get on the scoreboard. The way the goalies were playing, It looked as if we could be headed to overtime with a 0-0 score, but that all changed just over six minutes into the third period.
The Blackhawks were given a power play, but it was the Sharks who would get on the board first on a short-handed goal from Joe Pavelski. The Blackhawks would respond just over a minute later on the power play to tie the game up at 1-1. Neither team scored the rest of the period and the teams headed to overtime. With overtime not being enough, they headed to a shootout. The Sharks would convert on all three of their attempts in the shootout, while the Blackhawks went 1-2. The Sharks picked up the 2-1 victory on the night and win the season series over the Blackhawks.
The Blackhawks fall to 33-10-14 and lose for the fifth time in their last six games. They have now lost a league-high 14 games after regulation. The Sharks put an end to their three-game losing streak and move to 35-15-6.
06:10 SJS SHG: Joe Pavelski (29) assisted by Scott Hannan
07:13 CHI PPG: Brandon Saad (18) assisted by Kris Versteeg and Marian Hossa
Here are some notes from the game:
- Sharks goaltender Antti Niemi stopped 29 of the 30 shots he faced as he picked up the win. Niemi is second in the NHL with 28 wins.
- Corey Crawford was spectacular for the Blackhawks stopping 38 of the 39 shots he faced. He would however allow three goals on three attempts in the shootout as he picked up the loss.
- Bryan Bickell was once again a healthy scratch for the Blackhawks. It is unknown what the team plans to do with him in the near future.
NEXT GAME: Monday, January 3 @ Los Angeles Kings. 9:30 pm. CT start
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Shootout to San Jose Sharks
- Chicago Blackhawks (33-10-13) at San Jose Sharks (34-15-6)
- Chicago Blackhawks Score Three in Third to Seal 5-1 Victory Over San Jose Sharks
- San Jose Sharks (13-2-5) at Chicago Blackhawks (13-3-4)
- San Jose Sharks (26-10-6) at Chicago Blackhawks (29-7-8)
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17n9