With the Chicago Blackhawks playing in a shootout the night before, the Minnesota Wild knew they would be tired early on and they took advantage of it. The Wild jumped out to a 2-0 lead as they outshot and outhit the Blackhawks in the first period. The Blackhawks started to shift the control in the second period, but could not get the puck past Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper. In the third period, the Blackhawks continued their dominance in the offensive end, outshooting the Wild 17-3 in the period. With 32 seconds left, Patrick Kane scored the team's first goal and trimmed the deficit to 2-1. The Blackhawks called their timeout and orchestrated a play. They won the face off, got the puck in Minnesota's end and started to attack. Unfortunately their attack was short-lived as Minnesota cleared the puck out of their end allowing the time to expire.
With the win, the Wild move to 28-20-5 and have won three of their last four games. The Blackhawks fall to 32-9-12 with the loss and have lost two straight. The Wild now lead the season series 3-1 and are guaranteed the series win against the Blackhawks with the final game being played on April 3 in Chicago.
08:08 MIN GOAL: Jason Pominville (20) assisted by Mikael Granlund and Dany Heatley
15:31 MIN GOAL: Matt Cooke (7) assisted by Justin Fontaine and Kyle Brodziak
19:28 CHI GOAL: Patrick Kane (24) assisted by Nick Leddy and Patrick Sharp
Here are some notes from the game:
- Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane scored his first goal in his last 12 games. It is also only Kane's sixth point during that stretch.
- Duncan Keith missed his first game of the season due to illness. The team doesn't expect him to be out too long and he should return for the team's game on Sunday.
- Wild goaltender Darcy Kuemper was very impressive in net as he stopped 33 of the 34 shots he faced.
- Blackhawks goaltender Antti Raanta allowed two goals on 19 shots as he was handed only his second regulation loss of the season.
- Wild forward Zach Parise played just under 20 minutes in his return to the ice after a foot injury. He recorded zero shots on net and registered three hits.
NEXT GAME: Sunday, January 26 vs. Winnipeg Jets. 6 pm. CT
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Get Revenge, Defeat Minnesota Wild 5-1
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall to Minnesota Wild 5-3
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 4-3 to Minnesota Wild, Drop Second Game in a Row
- Chicago Blackhawks (32-8-12) at Minnesota Wild (27-20-5)
- Minnesota Wild (5-3-3) at Chicago Blackhawks (6-1-3)
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/171t