The Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings held true to the history of their rivalry by having another close fought battle Wednesday night. The Blackhawks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring two goals in a span of less than two minutes. However, less than a minute later the Red Wings struck back and got on the board thanks to a goal from Tomas Tatar. Patrick Eaves would score later in the period to tie the game up at 2-2 at the end of the first.
Patrick Sharp opened the scoring in the second period with his eighth power play goal of the season, putting the Blackhawks up 3-2. The Red Wings would answer back right away as just over a minute later Kyle Quincey snapped a shot past Corey Crawford to tie the game up 3-3. Gustav Nyquist would put the Red Wings in the lead with a goal midway through the second period.
With the Red Wings leading 4-3 in the third, they turned it over in their own end and Blackhawks forward Marcus Kruger took advantage of it, scoring his fifth goal of the season. Both teams would have several chances throughout an action packed third period, but both goalies held their own to force overtime.
In overtime, the action continued as each team had a few chances to seal the victory. It looked as if the Blackhawks might sneak out their first overtime victory of the year with a last second goal, but Jonas Gustavsson made a collection of saves to send the game to a shootout.
In the shootout, the Blackhawks had three chances to win the game, but each time Gustavsson came up big and extended the game. Darren Helm converted for the Red Wings in the top of the sixth round, meaning Andrew Shaw would have to score to extend the game. Shaw came down the middle of the ice and tried to wrist a shot over Gustavsson's glove, but the Red Wings netminder came up with the save, giving his team the 5-4 victory on the night.
08:41 CHI GOAL: Marian Hossa (21) assisted by Jonathan Toews and Johnny Oduya
10:26 CHI GOAL: Andrew Shaw (14) assisted by Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad
11:14 DET GOAL: Tomas Tatar (11) assisted by Brendan Smith and Tomas Jurco
17:40 DET GOAL: Patrick Eaves (2) assisted by Justin Abdelkader and Henrik Zetterberg
05:03 CHI PPG: Patrick Sharp (26) assisted by Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane
06:20 DET GOAL: Kyle Quincey (3) assisted by Gustav Nyquist and Henrik Zetterberg
11:14 DET GOAL: Gustav Nyquist (7) assisted by Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader
05:12 CHI GOAL: Marcus Kruger (5) unassisted
Here are some notes from the game:
- The Blackhawks dominated in the face off circle, winning 44 out of 68 draws. Marcus Kruger won his first 11 face offs of the game.
- Patrick Sharp picked up his team-leading 26th goal on the power play goal in the second period.
- Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg extended his point streak to three games as he recorded three assists on the night. Zetterberg now has six points over his last three games.
- Corey Crawford stopped 27 of the 31 shots he faced on the night, but came out with the shootout loss.
- Jonas Gustavsson picked up the win stopping 31 of the 35 shots he faced.
NEXT GAME: Thursday, January 23 @ Minnesota Wild. 7 pm. CT start.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Outlast Dallas Stars in 11th Round of Shootout, Win 2-1
- Chicago Blackhawks (32-8-11) at Detroit Red Wings (21-18-10)
- Preseason Game One Preview: Chicago Blackhawks Vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Chicago Blackhawks Defeat Detroit Red Wings 2-0 in First Preseason Game
- Chicago Blackhawks Win 4-3, Hold Off Late Surge from Detroit Red Wings
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16zy