The Chicago Blackhawks entered Sunday night's game against the Edmonton Oilers struggling to find the back of the net, but you wouldn't have known it based on the end result. The Blackhawks fell behind early for the fourth consecutive game, but bounced back with authority, defeating the Oilers 5-3. Forward Marian Hossa led the way for the Blackhawks with one goal and one assist on his 35th birthday. With the win, the Blackhawks move to 30-8-10 and sweep the three-game season series between the two teams. They also win for the first time in their last four games. The Oilers fall to 15-28-5 and have now lost two of their last four.
06:08 EDM GOAL: Ales Hemsky (7) assisted by Jeff Petry
14:26 CHI GOAL: Ben Smith (6) assisted by Niklas Hjalmarsson and Marcus Kruger
02:36 CHI GOAL: Andrew Shaw (12) assisted by Brandon Saad and Patrick Kane
11:29 EDM SHG-EN: Boyd Gordon (8) unassisted
11:58 CHI PPG: Marian Hossa (17) assisted by Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane
17:32 CHI GOAL: Jonathan Toews (17) assisted by Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa
05:17 EDM GOAL: Taylor Hall (18) assisted by Justin Schultz and Ales Hemsky
14:19 CHI GOAL: Brent Seabrook (6) unassisted
Here are some notes from the game:
- Blackhawks forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp each extended their point streaks to six games. Toews scored a pretty goal in the second period on a nice pass from Sharp.
- With his goal in the second period, Andrew Shaw finishes the season with four goals and one assist against the Oilers. Shaw was moved to second line center, playing alongside Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad.
- Edmonton's short-handed empty net goal in the second period came off a delayed penalty where Patrick Kane tried to play the puck back to the point. There was no defenseman in the area and the puck slid all the way down the ice into the Blackhawks' open net. Oilers forward Boyd Gordon was the last to touch the puck, so he was credited with the goal.
- Goaltender Antti Raanta picked up the win for the Blackhawks as he stopped 18 of 20 shots. Raanta is 7-0-2 in his last nine games and continues to receive offensive support when he's in net.
- Oilers goalie Devan Dubnyk turned away 36 of the 41 shots he faced in a losing effort. Dubnyk is 0-3-0 against the Blackhawks this season, allowing a total of 14 goals on 91 shots.
- Oilers forward Taylor Hall now has five points over his last five games.
Here is a look at Jonathan Toews' second period goal:
NEXT GAME: Tuesday, January 14 vs. Colorado Avalanche. 7 pm. CT.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Cruise to 5-1 Victory Over Edmonton Oilers
- Chicago Blackhawks Defeat Edmonton Oilers 5-4
- Edmonton Oilers (15-27-5) at Chicago Blackhawks (29-8-10)
- Chicago Blackhawks (16-4-4) at Edmonton Oilers (7-15-2)
- Edmonton Oilers (4-12-2) at Chicago Blackhawks (11-2-4)
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16ok