The Chicago Blackhawks were in Montreal Saturday to take on the Canadiens. Despite the Canadiens almost doubling the Blackhawks in shots (an usual stat for the Blackhawks), the two teams needed overtime to settle the difference. In overtime, it was Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov scoring his second goal of the game, giving the Canadiens the victory. With the win the Canadiens move to 26-15-5, while the Blackhawks fall to 29-8-10 with the loss. The Blackhawks have lost three straight games and four of their last five. Four of the losses have come in either overtime or a shootout.
12:54 MTL GOAL: Andrei Markov (4) assisted by Alexei Emelin and Michael Bournival
01:28 MTL GOAL: Andrei Markov 2 (5) assisted by Max Pacioretty
Here are some notes from the game:
- With his family and friends in attendance, Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford was sensational, stopping 36 of the 38 shots he faced. Despite the loss, it was one of Crawford's best outings of the year.
- Carey Price stopped 19 of 20 shots for the Canadiens as he picked up the win.
- Coach Joel Quenneville continued to mix up the forward lines for the Blackhawks. Bryan Bickell has been struggling lately and if he doesn't start picking up his play he could be on the outside looking in very soon.
- Montreal forward Tomas Plekanec recorded 11 shots on net in the game, but none made it past Corey Crawford.
NEXT GAME: Sunday, January 12 vs. Edmonton Oilers. 6 pm. CT
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks (29-8-9) at Montreal Canadiens (25-15-5)
- Patrick Sharp Scores Three Times as Chicago Blackhawks Defeat New Jersey Devils 5-3
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 6-5 in Overtime to Tampa Bay Lightning
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Calgary Flames
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Overtime to New York Islanders
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16nb