The Chicago Blackhawks and New York Rangers squared off Wednesday night in what was an entertaining game from start to finish. Both teams had plenty of scoring chances, both goalies played well, but only one team could emerge victorious. The Rangers got off to an early 2-0 lead in the first period, despite being outshot 15-9. However, the Blackhawks bounced back in the second period, tying the game up at 2-2. The teams exchanged chances in the third, but no one could take the lead until Rangers forward Carl Hagelin put a rebound past Corey Crawford, giving his team the one goal advantage. The Blackhawks tried to muster another late comeback, but came out empty handed. The Rangers move to 22-20-3 and are 4-1-1 in their last six. The Blackhawks fall to 29-8-9 and lose for the first time in regulation in 10 games.
05:06 NYR GOAL: Brad Richards (11) assisted by Ryan Callahan and Marc Staal
09:29 NYR PPG: Mats Zuccarello (11) assisted by Michael Del Zotto and Henrik Lundqvist
06:17 CHI PPG: Jonathan Toews (16) assisted by Patrick Sharp and Duncan Keith
08:05 CHI GOAL: Brandon Bollig (4) assisted by Marcus Kruger
14:03 NYR GOAL: Carl Hagelin (11) assisted by Marc Staal and Brad Richards
Here are some notes from the game:
- Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist stopped 35 of the 37 shots he faced as he picked up the win. Lundqvist made some key saves in the game and came up big during the last couple of minutes of play.
- Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford stopped 29 of the 32 shots he faced, but let in a couple of weak goals. Crawford had a tough time with his positioning. The Rangers third period goal also came on a Crawford turnover when he tried to play the puck off the boards.
- Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane was held without a point for the fourth time in his last five games. Despite his recent struggles, Kane is still tied for second in the league with 54 points.
- Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith recorded his 40th assist of the season. Forward Jonathan Toews pushed his point streak to four-games, recording five points during that stretch.
- Newly acquired Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo played just over seven minutes against his former team, recording two hits on the night.
NEXT GAME: Saturday, January 11 @ Montreal Canadiens. 6 pm. CT start.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- New York Rangers (21-20-3) at Chicago Blackhawks (29-7-9)
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Overtime to New York Islanders
- Chicago Blackhawks Hold New Jersey Devils to 12 Shots in 5-2 Win
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16jw