The Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks squared off against each other Sunday night in a Western Conference battle. Each team had a one goal lead in the game, but after 60 minutes they were all tied up 2-2 and needed overtime. As overtime wasn't enough to settle the difference, the teams headed to a shootout where it was the Sharks who came out on top. The Blackhawks fall to 29-7-9 on the season, but have picked up at least one point in 10 straight games. The Sharks move to 27-10-6 with the win.
10:12 SJS GOAL: Jason Demers (3) assisted by Logan Couture and Matthew Nieto
01:27 CHI GOAL: Niklas Hjalmarsson (4) assisted by Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp
04:01 CHI GOAL: Michal Rozsival (1) assisted by Marcus Kruger
11:10 SJS GOAL: Brent Burns (14) assisted by Joe Thornton and Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Here are some notes from the game:
- It seems as if the refs may have forgotten their whistles at home as the game only had one penalty. There were also some icing calls that were let go. The refs certainly were letting the players play and seemed to want to go home as soon as possible.
- Three of the four goals on the night came from defensemen, while the other came from Brent Burns – a former defenseman.
- Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford stopped 40 of the 42 shots he faced on the night, keeping the Blackhawks in the game. However, he allowed two goals in the shootout, handing him the loss on the night.
- Sharks goaltender Alex Stalock stopped 33 of 35 shots as he picked up the win. Stalock was really solid in net and made several big saves.
- Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp picked up an assist in his final bid to make Team Canada's Olympic roster. Sharp has 25 goals and 21 assists this season. He is second in the NHL in goals and sixth in points. He has been arguably the best player in the league over the last month, which should help is case for making the team.
NEXT GAME: Wednesday, January 8 vs. New York Rangers. 7 pm. CT
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
- Chicago Blackhawks Score Three in Third to Seal 5-1 Victory Over San Jose Sharks
- San Jose Sharks (26-10-6) at Chicago Blackhawks (29-7-8)
- San Jose Sharks (13-2-5) at Chicago Blackhawks (13-3-4)
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Anaheim Ducks
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Vancouver Canucks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16ec