Trailing 2-0 late in the second period to the New York Islanders, the Chicago Blackhawks rallied back to tie the game and force overtime. However, less than a minute into overtime, Islanders forward Kyle Okposo roofed a wrist shot past Corey Crawford, giving his team the victory. The Blackhawks fall to 28-7-8 on the season and are now 0-2-1 in their last three games. The Islanders move to 14-21-7 and have won three in a row.
15:24 NYI GOAL: Casey Cizikas (5) unassisted
18:36 CHI GOAL: Brent Seabrook (5) assisted by Kris Versteeg and Nick Leddy
01:50 CHI GOAL: Ben Smith (5) assisted by Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp
00:58 NYI GOAL: Kyle Okposo (16) assisted by John Tavares and Andrew MacDonald
Here are some notes from the game:
- Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford made his return after being out since December 8 with a lower-body injury. Crawford stopped 31 of the 34 shots he faced on the night.
- Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane failed to pick up a point again. This is only the third time this season that Kane has gone longer than one game without recording a point.
- Islanders forward Thomas Vanek extended his point streak to seven games. He has 10 points during that stretch.
- Islanders goaltender Evgeni Nabokov stopped 39 of the 41 shots he faced.
- Kyle Okposo was named the game's first start as he picked up a goal and an assist.
NEXT GAME: Friday, January 3 @ New Jersey Devils. 6 pm. CT.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101Tags: Blackhawks, Chicago, Chicago Blackhawks, COREY CRAWFORD, EVGENI NABOKOV, Hockey, ISLANDERS, KYLE OKPOSO, NEW JERSEY DEVILS, NEW YORK ISLANDERS, NHL, PATRICK KANE, THOMAS VANEK