The Chicago Blackhawks won their second game in a row and 2,500th in franchise history Tuesday night as they defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 in a shootout. The Blackhawks got off to a fast start taking a 2-0 lead. The Hurricanes stormed back to tie the game 2-2 and the teams headed to overtime. With nothing settled in overtime, the teams headed to a shootout where Patrick Sharp beat Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward for the game winner. The Blackhawks now move to 4-1-1, whereas the Hurricanes sit at 2-2-3.
Here are some notes from the game:
- Patrick Sharp's wife gave birth to a baby daughter on Sunday. In the first game since his daughter's birth, Sharp opened the scoring with his 200th career goal and also scored the shootout winner for the Blackhawks. A similar thing happened back in 2011 when the couple had their first child – Sharp scored the overtime winner back then.
- Marian Hossa was the other goal scorer for the Blackhawks. He put a nice backhand past Cam Ward after a fantastic effort in the zone from teammate Andrew Shaw.
- Both teams went scoreless on the power play, with the Blackhawks going 0-3 and the Hurricanes going 0-4.
- Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford bailed his team out a few times after some terrible giveaways in their own zone. Crawford stopped 32 of 34 shots on the night and the two goals he let in weren't his fault. Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward stopped 34 of 36 shots and kept his team in the game during the Blackhawks first period attack.
- Alexander Semin and Ron Hainsey were the goal scorers for Carolina. Semin almost scored again late in the third period but Corey Crawford stood his ground and made a nice save.
Be sure to check back here or follow us on social media for all the latest Blackhawks related news.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Chicago Blackhawks (3-1-1) at Carolina Hurricanes (2-2-2)
- Chicago Blackhawks Hold Off Washington Capitals in a Shootout to Win 5-4
- Chicago Blackhawks Lose 4-3 as They Fall to the Pittsburgh Penguins in a Shootout
- Chicago Blackhawks Surrender Two Goal Lead, Lose 3-2 to Tampa Bay Lightning in Shootout
- Chicago Blackhawks Win 4-3, Hold Off Late Surge from Detroit Red Wings
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/12m1