It was a playoff game atmosphere Wednesday night as the Chicago Blackhawks took on the St. Louis Blues. The game was fast paced full of scoring chances and big saves. It seemed as if the teams were headed to overtime as they were tied 2-2 throughout the whole third period, but with less than a minute left, the Blues headed down the ice on a three-on-one break and forward Alex Steen blasted a shot through Corey Crawford's legs. The Blues broke the tie and won the game 3-2. The Blackhawks came into the game registering points in each of their first two games. They now fall to 1-1-1 on the season, whereas the Blues are now 3-0.
Here are some notes from the game:
- The Blackhawks big guns had a strong outing tonight as Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp all recorded two points each. Kane and Toews were the goal scorers.
- Both goaltenders played incredible tonight, keeping their teams in the game. Corey Crawford stopped 31 of the 34 shots he faced for the Blackhawks and Jaroslav Halak stopped 26 of 28 shots for the Blues.
- The Blackhawks power play unit was effective tonight. They were only on the power play for a total of 22 seconds but they went 2/2, converting on both chances.
- Forward Joakim Nordstrom saw little time on the Blackhawks penalty kill and was on the ice for only a few seconds. The few seconds he was on the ice, the Blues scored a power play goal. Nordstrom was replaced mostly by Michal Handzus. The penalty kill is once again a cause of concern for the Blackhawks moving forward.
- David Backes and Vladimir Tarasenko were the other goal scorers for the Blues tonight. Backes' goal came on the power play, while Tarasenko's came at even strength.
Be sure to check back leading into Friday's game for any line changes and other news.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
“Like“ us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Chicago Blackhawks (1-0-1) at St. Louis Blues (2-0-0)
- Chicago Blackhawks Surrender Two Goal Lead, Lose 3-2 to Tampa Bay Lightning in Shootout
- Chicago Blackhawks Lose 4-3 as They Fall to the Pittsburgh Penguins in a Shootout
- New Season, New Banner, Same Goal for the Chicago Blackhawks
- Chicago Blackhawks Fall to Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 in a Shootout, Make More Roster Cuts
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/12ba