The Chicago Blackhawks continued their strong preseason with another win Sunday afternoon against the Detroit Red Wings. The Blackhawks beat the Red Wings 4-3 and it took a last second save by goaltender Corey Crawford to seal the victory. The Blackhawks were up 4-1 in the third period, but the Red Wings slowly made their way back in the game. With the score 4-2, the Red Wings pulled their goalie and added an extra attacker. They quickly scored, making the game 4-3. With their goalie still pulled and time ticking away, the Red Wings came back down the ice and had three opportunities to score. Crawford, who stopped 30 of 33 shots, came up with his biggest stops of the game when he shut the door on the Red Wings. The Blackhawks are now 3-0-1 in the preseason.
The Blackhawks were led by their rookie forwards Sunday afternoon. Byron Froese scored two goals and finished the day with five shots on net. Garret Ross and Joakim Nordstrom also added one goal each.
Here are a few notes on the game:
- Forward Brandon Saad took a puck to the hand and left for the dressing room. He later returned to the bench and seemed to be okay. Saad, who has been given a chance to assume the role as the team's second line center, looks to be on his way back to playing left wing. Coach Joel Quenneville said he is still an option to play center, but it doesn't seem very likely.
- Forward Bryan Bickell was supposed to play in today's game. He missed the game due to what was being called a "wardrobe malfunction". Quenneville didn't give any specifics but said that he is fine.
- Defenseman Mike Kostka was back on the ice for the Blackhawks after leaving Tuesday's game with an injury. Kostka was illegally hit into the boards and laid on the ice for a few minutes before getting up. It was revealed today that Kostka did not suffer a concussion, but was dealing with neck soreness. The team moved him to forward for today's game and he added one assist.
- Defenseman Michal Rozsival made his preseason debut and notched a team-high 25:43 minutes.
- The Blackhawks once again failed to score on the power play. They went 0-3 Sunday afternoon, making them 0-17 in the preseason.
The team announced that Nikolai Khabibulin will be in net tomorrow in Pittsburgh when the Blackhawks take on the Penguins. They also announced that forward Brandon Pirri, who has been dealing with an undisclosed injury, will be back in the lineup tomorrow. Pirri will be given a chance at center on the second line. With him already missing most of training camp and preseason, Pirri has little time to show he is deserving of a roster spot.
Tomorrow's game against the Penguins will start at 6 pm CT.
Follow us on Twitter: @ChBlackhawks101
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Blackhawks101
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Tags: Blackhawks, BRANDON PIRRI, BRANDON SAAD, BYRON FROESE, Chicago, Chicago Blackhawks, COREY CRAWFORD, CRAWFORD, DETROIT, Hockey, NHL, RED WINGS, SAAD
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/118g