The Sabres began their day by trading a 2016 second round pick to Montreal to acquire defenseman Josh Gorges. The Sabres would then double-dip into Montreal's pool by signing their former captain, Brian Gionta, to a three-year deal.
Buffalo wasn't done, landing a few more players, some of which are familiar faces to the organization. Below is the full list of moves the Sabres have made thus far:
- Matt Moulson signed to a five-year, $25 million deal
- Cody McCormick signed to multi-year contract
- Marcus Foligno re-signed to a two-year deal
- Brian Gionta signed to three-year deal
- Josh Gorges acquired for 2016 second round pick
There have been reports that the Sabres were interested in bringing Steve Ott back for another stint, though those reports have been disputed and Ott remains as a free agent. Moulson's return will bring excitement to Sabres fans that didn't want to see him go in the first place. Moulson and McCormick were both parts of a deal to Minnesota at the trade deadline last season, and will be welcomed back by both fans and the organization.
The Sabres are likely not done this offseason, as Tyler Ennis is still in need of a long-term contract. Still, with the draft and beginning of free agency, Tim Murray has given Sabres fans something to look forward to as the team continues to rebuild.Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Sabres, Hockey, NHL
- Buffalo Sabres Tender Qualifying Offers to Five Players, Get Ready for Free Agency
- Buffalo Sabres; NHL Begin Talks with Pending Free Agents
- Buffalo Sabres Re-sign Restricted Free Agent Nicolas Deslauriers to Two-year Contract
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cmo