The United States easily handled the Czech Republic 5-2, earning a rematch against rival Canada in the Semifinals on Friday.
James Van Riemsdyk scored just 1:39 into the game for Team USA. Dustin Brown, David Backes, and Zach Parise all scored in the second period to make it 4-1 USA. The Parise goal midway through the second period was the clincher, sending starting Czech Republic goaltender Ondrel Pavelec to the bench after making only eight saves on twelve shots.
The Americans took advantage of having two days off, having fresher legs compared to the Czech Republic, who were playing for the second consecutive day. They had to beat Slovakia in the qualification round just to reach the Quarterfinals.
Team USA goaltender Jonathan Quick made 21 saves on 23 shots to earn the victory.
The United States now will get ready to face Canada in the Semifinals. The winner of the Canada/United States game will play the winner of Sweden/Finland for the gold medal on Sunday at 7am eastern standard time.
Note: This article was written by Sabres 101 writer Richard Wade
- Team USA to Play Czech Republic in Quarterfinal Showdown
- U.S. Hockey Team Primed for Semifinal Vs. Canada in 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
- Team USA Set to Face Host Country Russia in Game Two of Group Play
- 2014 Sochi Olympics Men’s Hockey Preview, Part 2: Canada, Sweden Among the Front-runners
- Winter Olympics Hockey Schedule Has Been Released
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18ew