It has been four, long years for the Americans, who have been forced to watch the highlight of Sidney Crosby's gold medal-winning goal over and over again, since they have taken the ice together as a team.
With most of the 2010 team returning, Slovakia felt the wrath of Team USA, as the Americans showed no mercy in a 7-1 win.
When Bobby Ryan wasn't selected to represent Team USA, many wondered where the Americans would get their offense from. However, six different Americans scored, with Paul Stastny being the only one to score twice. Jonathan Quick, who started in goal for the Americans, had a relatively easy game, stopping 22 of 23 shots. His counterpart, Jaroslav Halak, wasn't as fortunate, as he allowed five goals on 25 shots and was pulled in the second period.
With the win, Team USA made a statement that they are back on their quest for gold. Their next test will be against Russia on Saturday at 7:30 am.
- Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller Will Sit for Team USA’s First Match Vs. Slovakia
- Overmatched Buffalo Sabres Drop Opening Game to Detroit Red Wings
- Ryan Miller Vs. Jonathan Quick Statistical Breakdown: Dual for No. 1 Team U.S. Olympic Goaltending Position
- 2014 Sochi Olympics Men’s Hockey Preview, Part One: Tough Road to Medal for U.S.
- Buffalo Sabres Fans Help Propel Olympic Opening Ceremony Ratings
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/189e