The Americans come into the tournament after suffering a heartbreaking loss to Team Canada in the 2010 gold medal game, earning the USA a silver medal. Miller was the tournament MVP in 2010 and comes back to the Olympics this year. But Jonathan Quick will start Thursday's game
Miller and Quick may yet share duties. Coach Dan Bylsma said he has a plan in place for the preliminary round, but he won't share it. So it's possible Quick will play once then sit. Howard is expected to serve as the No. 3 goaltender. Miller hopes to see some action for the Americans and capture the goal medal that eluded him four years ago.
"I would hope I would be more experienced and have some knowledge to draw on, so I hope I am more involved as a person and a goaltender," Miller told NHL.com. "Again, it is a quick tournament, anything can happen. I'm just trying to be focused and ready."
The top line for the Americans seems to also be formed. Joe Pavelski, James van Riemsdyk and Phil Kessel will top the USA roster. Zach Parise and Buffalo's own Patrick Kane also headline the roster for the Americans.
The matchup between USA and Slovakia can be watched on the NBC Sports Network.
- Ryan Miller Vs. Jonathan Quick Statistical Breakdown: Dual for No. 1 Team U.S. Olympic Goaltending Position
- Buffalo Sabres’ Ryan Miller in Mix with Jonathan Quick for U.S. Olympic Starting Nod
- Buffalo Sabres Goaltender Ryan Miller Comments on USA Hockey, Sabres
- Buffalo Sabres Disrespect Ryan Miller with Yet Another Bad Loss
- Ryan Miller Steals a Win for the Buffalo Sabres
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1869