Three Buffalo Sabres prospects medaled at the recently completed IIHF Junior World Championships.
Defenseman Rasmus Ristonainen won a gold medal with Finland and clinched the medal with a game-winning goal in overtime against Sweden.
Forward Mikhail Grigorenko and blueliner Nikita Zadorov won bronze medals for Russia. Grigorenko scored a goal in the bronze medal win over Canada.
Ristolainen and Zadorov were named to the all-tournament team. Ristolainen scored three goals and was also named the tourney's best defenseman. Zadorov had four goals and five assists. Grigorenko added five goals and three assists.
The Sabres are once again now stuck with Grigorenko. He's too young to play in the AHL at 19, so the team had benched him a good part of this season due to a lack of production (two goals and one assist in 18 games) and loaned him out to Russia for the tournament.
- Buffalo Sabres Loan Mikhail Grigorenko for World Junior Championships
- Buffalo Sabres Forward Mikhail Grigorenko Ruled Ineligible for Prospects Tournament
- Buffalo Sabres Announce Roster for NHL Prospects Tournament
- Buffalo Sabres Fall to Detroit Red Wings 4-2 in Prospects Title Tilt
- Buffalo Sabres Prospects are 2-0 Entering Tournament Round Robin Finale
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16eo