Like it or not, Sammy Watkins will be linked to Stevie Johnson at least for the immediate future.
Johnson was dealt to the San Francisco 49ers less than 24 hours after Watkins was drafted by the Bills. The message that the Bills were sending is that they want to win, and do so with good character.
Since being drafted by Buffalo, Watkins has referred to himself as a good citizen and a leader. Doug Whaley echoed those traits when he met Watkins' parents at the Bills' facilities, telling them that all he's heard is that Watkins is a better person off the field, than on it. The Bills are hoping that Watkins can provide leadership to a young receiving corps, without the attitude that Johnson had.
Everyone in Buffalo is aware of Johnson's outbursts. His excessive celebrations hindered Buffalo in some games, and his antics off the field have led many to believe that Doug Marrone and his coaching staff have grown tired of dealing with him. That sentiment was solidified by Buffalo's decision to draft Watkins and part ways with Johnson.
Johnson has been labeled by many as a selfish player, which many NFL receivers are labeled. Yet, his lack of production in big moments failed to validate his behavior, and allowed Buffalo to make what they considered to be an easy decision to send Johnson to the Bay area and replace him with a more talented receiver with less behavior issues.
- Buffalo Bills Make Splash with Trade That Lands Sammy Watkins with No. 4 Pick, Stevie Johnson’s Future May Be in Jeopardy
- Buffalo Bills Trade Stevie Johnson to San Francisco 49ers
- Doug Marrone Excited for Second Year with Stevie Johnson
- How Round One Will Play Out – Buffalobills101.com’s Mock Draft up to the Buffalo Bills Pick
- Buffalo Bills Hope Aggressive Offseason Leads to Production
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b26