As we head into a weekend absent of any world title fights, it may be a good time to sit back and relax with a good movie to satisfy your boxing urges. Boxing 101 shares its top 10 boxing-themed movies for your viewing pleasure.
1. The Harder They Fall, Humphrey Bogart (1956) – according to Hal Erickson, a "thinly disguised á clef account of the Primo Carnera boxing scandal."
2. Raging Bull, Robert DeNiro (1980) – an incisive portrayal of the rise, fall and redemption of middleweight boxer Jake La Motta.
3. Tyson, Documentary (2008) – a feature-length documentary that explores the life and career of self-destructive pugilist Mike Tyson, assembled from over 30 hours of interviews with the controversial formal heavyweight champion.
4. The Hurricane, Denzel Washington (1999) – the story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a top-ranked middleweight boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence.
5. Thrilla in Manila, Documentary (2009) – with the help of archive material and eyewitness accounts (including Imelda Marcos), this documentary is a behind-the scenes view and reconstruction of Ali-Frazier III.
7. Cinderella Man, Russell Crowe (2005) – the inspiring tale of James Braddock, a supposedly washed-up boxer whose unbreakable will drove him to become world heavyweight champion in the 1930's.
8. The Fighter, Mark Wahlberg (2010) – a look at the early years of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward and his brother who helped train him before going pro in the mid 1980's.
Get more information on each of these films and any of your other favorites at IMDb.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter and Google Currents on your Smart phone
- The Genesis of Boxing 101′s Newly Created “Referee Watch List”
- Boxing 101′s “Referee Watch List” – June 2013
- Boxing 101′s Judge Watch List 2013 – 2nd Quarter
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/wwe