Juan Manuel Marquez/Timothy Bradley: a Smart Decision by Both

June 1st, 2013 at 12:24 AM
By Phil Clark

The announcement of a bout between the last two men to defeat Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Timothy Bradley, is one that must be celebrated within the boxing community if only because it is a pairing that makes sense both stylistically and competitively. Despite the bout being moved from it's originally scheduled date of September 14 to October 12 after the announcement of a Floyd Mayweather/Saul Alvarez bout on the same night, this is a bout that this writer is greatly anticipating, and believes that many should share that opinion.

For Bradley, this bout is another step in his attempt to rebuild his reputation in the boxing world after his decision win over Manny Pacquiao last summer was almost universally discredited due to the poor judging involved.

Bradley's first step in this reclamation project of sorts was his wild brawl with Ruslan Provodnikov earlier this year. That night, Bradley took enormous punishment at the beginning of the fight, but evened things out and eventually overwhelmed Provodnikov before withstanding one last barrage in the final moments. Bradley rightly won that bout by decision.

Taking a bout against Marquez was a good move in itself when it comes to Bradley rebuilding his reputation. Because Marquez beat Pacquiao in a manner more satisfying to the public and more definitive than any decision (like how Bradley “beat” Pacquiao), it was a wise move for Bradley to insert himself and create a match between the other man who beat Pacquiao in 2012. If nothing else, it provides the general public a reason to take a look at this bout due to neither Marquez nor Bradley being that big with average fight fans.

The reason Bradley has to rebuild his reputation at all is because he happened to win the biggest fight of his career without actually winning the fight. The percentage of people either at ringside or watching that actually believed Bradley won is so small that it defies logic that three of those would be the three people at ringside whose opinions matter the most, the judges. Bradley didn't beat Pacquiao, he knows it and everyone knows it. But because the record will always show that he did, it's a black mark on his career that needs to be redeemed.

As for Marquez, the decision to fight Bradley was a simple one. Because a fifth bout against Pacquiao and a rematch with Mayweather weren't available, Bradley was the best option for Marquez following his knockout of Pacquiao last December.

It's also a good bout for Marquez because there is the possibility that it could be his last. The bout with Bradley will be Marquez's 63rd as a pro and will take place after he has turned 40. If a fifth meeting with Pacquiao or a rematch with Mayweather can't be made, there really isn't much out there for Marquez after his bout with Bradley when you consider his age and all that he has already done in his pro career. A win for Marquez would give him something to bargain with in the hopes of making a bout with Pacquiao or Mayweather happen. Otherwise, who really knows?

Moving the bout to October 12 was a smart decision for two very big reasons. First, this bout wasn't going to beat a Mayweather bout on pay-per-view. So instead of getting crushed, this bout was moved far enough away from the Mayweather/Alvarez bout to where it will be comfortably on its own on pay-per-view. Second, this is a bout that needs to be on its own night so it can get its own attention without the media having to choose between it or the Mayweather bout. This writer anticipates that Marquez/Bradley will be much more entertaining bout than Mayweather/Alvarez.

Tags: Boxing, Floyd Mayweather, Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao, Saul Alvarez, Timothy Bradley

7 Responses to “Juan Manuel Marquez/Timothy Bradley: a Smart Decision by Both”

1.  Taz Malik says:

Phil, it is really difficult to take anything you write about boxing seriously when you don’t seem to be aware that Marquez and Pacquiao have already fought FOUR times. Throughout your article you make reference to a fourth Marquez vs Pacquiao fight not being available etc. It would be the FIFTH fight not the FOURTH! You also say “in this writers opinion…” A couple of times throughout your article. Your opinion means nothing and the king of sports deserves a better writer than someone with your clear lack of knowledge. Maybe you should go and cover UFC instead, that’s the type of sport where details don’t matter and illiterate fans won’t pick up on your mistakes.

•  Phil Clark says:

Mistake fixed. Pretty embarassed that I didn’t catch that. Also, I respect your anger, but if this is the only article of mine you’ve read, your last couple of sentences don’t carry much weight.

•  Taz Malik says:

It wasn’t anger. It was disappointment. No hard feelings but details are important to me and if you’re a aspiring journalist they should be to you to. The embarrassment means you’re unlikely to make a similar sloppy mistake again. In terms of my last couple of sentences not carrying much weight. Well I did my research before posting my comment and found you are primarily passionate about wrestling and MMA. So without having to read your other articles its fairly conclusive that you are a casual boxing fan. I am a hardcore boxing fan that views most other sports with contempt so I expect people who write about my sport to be a little better informed. No offence intended.

•  Phil Clark says:

I am more than a casual fan when it comes to boxing. The reason I write more about MMA and pro wrestling is that more sites and writing opportunities have come around for me involving those two than boxing. I’ve tried to get on numerous boxing sites to write, but have had little success. I also believe that details are crucially important and know that this is a rare **** up by me.

No offence taken as I kind of enjoy when someone gives me a good kick to the ****, if needed. However, your viewing of other sports with contempt is an example of how the whole MMA vs. Boxing **** got started in the first place. It’s really good to be passionate about a sport, but making poor generalizations about fans of other sports (“Maybe you should go and cover UFC instead, that’s the type of sport where details don’t matter and illiterate fans won’t pick up on your mistakes”) isn’t the way to go. I know and know of a TON of MMA (not UFC, that’d be like saying Golden Boy Promotions is boxing) fans that hate the inaccuracy of people out there. But trust me, there are plenty of MMA fans and supporters that care about the facts and accuracy.

•  Taz Malik says:

I appreciate you taking the time to reply again. I admit to being very ignorant about MMA which you picked up on when I referred to it as UFC. To be honest I simply don’t care for the sport. That particular part of my comment about MMA fans being illiterate may have been silly but it is a reflection of how much I despise the sport. Boxing to me is truly a beautiful thing, a noble sport, the sweet science as Liebling said. To my eyes MMA or certainly the UFC flavour that I have come across is a needlessly brutal affair where the poor loser is often pummelled while on the ground. To me it is also so unattractive to watch two males writhing around on the ground in questionable positions. However, each to their own we all appreciate different things.

Maybe I was a little harsh on you Phil, we all make mistakes and you are entitled to make typo’s now and again. I think part of the reason I commented on your article and took exception to your oversight is my frustration at the lack of great writing in general on the sport I love. There are only a small handful of writers these days (in my opinion) that are truly talented. Mike Katz was such a knowledgable and witty writer but he seems to have disappeared. Thomas Hauser’s pieces are always an enjoyable read but that’s mainly because he is a talented writer not necessarily because he possesses good boxing knowledge. However, one shining light I must mention is Springs Toledo at thesweetscience.com now he is one to watch in my opinion. Anyway, I so wish you the best of luck with your writing endeavours and I do hope you are able to write for other boxing sites.

Kind regards

Nasser
            Manchester
            England

2.  Herman Santos says:

In addition to Taz’s comments – it wasn’t that PAC was not available, JMM made a deliberate decision not to fight PAC a FIFTH time. Probably had something to do with the beating JMM was sustaining before PAC ran into the very fortunate punch that was thrown in the 6th.

Also, JMM stated that just before he threw that last punch, PAC was on the way to knocking him out. He is probably concerned about getting knocked out by PAC in the 5th.

Finally, JMM stated he would fight PAC a fifth time. But after Arum stated that there would be RBT, JMM started making unreasonable demands and opted not to fight PAC, this causing PAC to have to choose anger fight.

•  Phil Clark says:

I’ve never been someone to take much of anything Bob Arum says at face value. He could be telling the truth about Marquez making demands, but my initial reaction rarely sides with Arum.