Koji Uehara entered the 9th to protect a 3-0 lead, but a rare meltdown from Boston's closer cost them the game. Uehara was one strike away from slamming the door shut before Austin Jackson's bases clearing double tied the game with 2 outs in the 9th. The Mariners would end up scoring 5 times in the inning – all with 2 outs. It was only Uehara's 3rd blown save of the season and the 5 earned runs are the most he's given up in an outing since he was a rookie starter in 2009. He's now allowed a run in 3 straight appearances, his longest streak of allowing at least one run since he became a reliever. It was the first time all season Boston has lost a game this season when leading after 8 innings, making them the last team in the majors to to lose a lead in the 9th inning or later this season.
- Brandon Workman (1-7, 4.26 ERA) takes the hill for Boston. He pitched well in his last outing against the LA Angels (7 innings, 2 runs), but still suffered the loss. He now has taken the loss in his last 7 appearances (6 starts).
- David Ortiz reached base 4 times last night (2-for-2, 2 walks), making it his 4th straight game that he's reached base 4 times. He's 10 for his last 12 at the plate, with 2 HR and 6 RBI in that span. Big Papi is now hitting a scorching .375/.457/.714 in the month of August.
- Yoenis Cespedes hit his 21st home run of the season last night and his 4th with Boston. Each one of those 4 homers with the Red Sox has given the team the lead. He now has 16 RBI in his last 14 games.
- Mike Napoli returns to the lineup, after missing the past few games with back spasms.
- Xander Bogaerts was removed from last night's game in the bottom of the 6th to be evaluated for a concussion and is out of the lineup today. He was drilled in the head by an 89 MPH changeup from Felix Hernandez that dropped him to the ground and sent a concerned hush over the Fenway crowd. Brock Holt slides over to SS in his place.
- Chris Young (12-6, 3.07 ERA) gets the start for Seattle. The veteran was out of the majors last season, spending the bulk of it in the Washington Nationals system. He was ineffective in limited action in the minor leagues before being shut down with a shoulder issue that required surgery. Washington released him this spring, allowing him to sign an incentive laden 1-year deal with the Mariners. So far it's been paying off for Seattle, as he's stayed healthy and is having his best season in years.
- Kyle Seager is up to 6th in the AL with a 5.1 WAR. He has an .813 OPS and provides a lot of value as a sure handed third baseman.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Baseball, Boston, Boston Red Sox, Brandon Workman, David Ortiz, Koji Uehara, Mike Napoli, MLB, Xander Bogaerts, Yoenis Cespedes
- Boston Red Sox Vs Seattle Mariners Friday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Seattle Mariners Monday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Seattle Mariners Tuesday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Seattle Mariners Wednesday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Baltimore Orioles Saturday Preview – Part 1
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1euq