The Boston Red Sox (39-49) welcome the Chicago White Sox (42-47) to Fenway Park to open a four game series. Boston continues to slide after losing two out of three to the Baltimore Orioles over the weekend to drop into last place in the AL East.
The Red Sox staged an impressive comeback with 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th inning last night to tie the game, but eventually fell to the Orioles in extra innings. Edward Mujica worked a scoreless 11th, but gave up a lead-off triple to David Lough to start the 12th and J.J. Hardy drove home the winning run with a base hit.
Boston has lost 6 of it's last 10 games and are now 9 games back of the division leading Orioles.
- Clay Buchholz (3-4, 6.22 ERA) gets the start for Boston. He's coming off his best start of the season, where he held the Chicago Cubs to 1 run over 6.1 innings. Now he'll try his luck against the team from the other side of Chicago.
- Jon Lester was selected as the lone representative for the Red Sox. None of the players from the defending World Champions were voted in by the fans and manager John Farrell ended up picking only one of his own guys. Koji Uehara is expected to be among the top choices to fill in as an injury replacement.
- Scott Carroll (2-5, 5.05 ERA) will be on the mound for Chicago. The 29-year old rookie was lit up for 7 runs by the Angels in his last start. He's bounced back and forth between the bullpen and rotation this season, making 7 starts in his 13 appearances.
- The White Sox will send rookie first baseman Jose Abreu and shortstop Alexei Ramirez to the All-Star game. Abreu is tied for the major league lead in home runs with 27 and ranks 3rd in the AL in RBI with 69, despite missing some time with stint on the DL.
- Boston Red Sox Vs Chicago Cubs Monday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Baltimore Orioles Monday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Atlanta Braves Monday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Chicago Cubs Tuesday Preview
- Boston Red Sox Vs Chicago Cubs Wednesday Preview
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ct8