The Los Angeles Lakers starters played a total of zero minutes in the fourth quarter. Players like Jordan Farmar, Kent Bazemore, and Chris Kaman scored eight points each. Jordan Hill added four points, and a former Celtics bench warmer, MarShon Brooks, tallied ten points. Brooks was the catalyst. He had three steals and shot 5 of 7 from the field in the final 12 minutes.
In what began as a white flag from Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni turned into a siege, a 38 point binge turned a 9 point deficit into a 9 point victory.
The Celtics have now collected two straight losses since the All-Star Break, while also tallying no trades before Thursday's deadline. Previous to the deadline Danny Ainge admitted that the team as constructed was not a playoff team. So standing pat at the deadline pretty much means that Ainge is planning on a spot in the lottery this summer.
Yes, this team is not very good. Yes, they have plenty of assets. Yes, Brad Stevens has proven he is capable of getting the most he possibly can out of his team.
Now, the pressure rests completely on Danny Ainge's shoulders to move these puzzle pieces around and figure out what he wants to keep and what he wants to trade. He made the decision to make no trades. He believes this team, as constructed, will not make the playoffs.
Ainge will look like a genius if he can turn this around in the next 18-24 months. If he losses Rajon Rondo to free agency and guys like Jeff Green and Jared Sullinger do not grow into their roles that are required on a championship team, Ainge could be the one to blame for a long run in NBA purgatory.
- Another Disappointing Fourth Quarter by the Boston Celtics Leads to Some Questions About the Rotation
- Boston Celtics Learning from Past Mistakes and Have Successful Fourth Quarter to Beat New York Knicks
- Brad Stevens and the Boston Celtics are Finding Their Groove in the Fourth Quarter
- Some Things to Look Forward to When Rajon Rondo Returns on Friday Night Against the Los Angeles Lakers
- According to Doc Rivers the Los Angeles Clippers Have the Ability to Be Better than His Boston Celtics Teams
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18im