The 2014 MLB All Star Game may be a month away, but some of the full season Minor Leagues are just weeks away and several players in the Baltimore Orioles organization have been named to their respective Minor League All Star teams.
Both the AAA and AA All Star games do not take place until July, thus those All Star teams have yet to be announced as voting continues through the end of June, but the High-A and Low-A levels have their All Star games in the middle of June and several Orioles organizational players have been named to their respective All Star teams.
Low-A Delmarva Shorebirds
The Shorebirds, who have the best record of any Minor League affiliate, have had quite a start to the 2014 season and will be sending five players to the 55th South Atlantic League All Star Game.
- Hunter Harvey, RHP – The 2013 first round selection by the Orioles has had quite a beginning to his first full professional season and has been named the starting pitcher for the Northern Division squad in the All Star game. Harvey has posted a 3-4 record with a 2.31 ERA in 11 starts that has spand 58 1/3 innings. Harvey has 67 strikeouts in those 58 1/3 innings.
- Drew Dosch, 3B – Joining Harvey as a starter for the Northern Division team, the third baseman has hit .309 with three home runs, nine doubles, 26 RBI and boasted a .362 OBP.
- Mike Yastrzemski, OF – The Shorebirds leadoff man has been quite a force at the plate and will also be a starter for the Northern Division squad. Yaz is hitting .305 with eight home runs, a SAL best nine triples, 13 doubles, 39 RBI and has also stolen nine bases. He also leads the SAL with 11 outfield assists.
- Sebastian Vader, RHP – The right hander has been phenomenal on the mound for the Shorebirds and is among the reserve pitchers for the Northern Division. In ten starts this season, Vader owns a 7-2 record with a 2.94 ERA in 64 1/3 innings pitcher. The most impressive stat for Vader? He has walked just 11 batters in his 64 1/3 innings.
- Jimmy Yacabonis, RHP – Yacobonis leads both the SAL and the entire Orioles organization with 13 saves this season. The right handers has worked in 18 games and tossed 22 innings, and get this, he has allowed just seven hits, struck out 29 and has yet to give up an earned run this ENITRE season. Opponents are hitting just .101 against him.
High-A Frederick Keys
The Keys have had some ups and downs this season, but will be sending two players to the Carolina League All Star game.
- Glynn Davis, OF – The 22 year old outfielder will play in a Minor League All Star game for the second time in his career as he made the New York-Penn League All Star game in 2011 while with the Aberdeen Ironbirds. Davis leads the Keys with a .313 average and has hit one home run, four triples, 18 doubles with 23 RBI and boasts a .377 on base percentage. Davis has also swiped 12 bags this season.
- Matt Taylor, LHP – The southpaw, who owns the second best ERA in the Carolina League was named to the All Star team and although he will not be able to participate due to a back injury, his performance this year deserved to be recognized. Taylor owns a 1.94 ERA with a 5-1 record in eight starts and 46 1/3 innings pitched. We interviewed Matt earlier in the week, which you can check out here.
It is great to see players in the Orioles Minor Leagues get named to All Star teams, as it makes the future promising. The South Atlantic League All Star game will take place on June 17 in Hickory, North Carolina, while the Carolina League All Star game will also be held on June 17 in Wilmington, Delaware.
Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Orioles101
Add us on Google+ Orioles101
Follow us on Twitter for all Orioles breaking news @Orioles_101
- Orioles101 Minor League Spotlight: Delmarva Shorebirds Pitching Staff Absolutely Shutting Teams Down
- Minor League Spotlight: 1B Christian Walker Having Tremendous Start to 2014 for Bowie Baysox
- Minor League Spotlight: Orioles101 Sits Down with Bowie Baysox Announcer Adam Pohl to Talk Baysox
- Minor League Spotlight: Bowie Baysox Third Baseman Buck Britton Turning Heads This Season
- Minor League Monday: Baltimore Orioles Minor League Affiliates Opening Day Schedules
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bst