This offseason, we here at Orioles101 have decided to bring you Minor League Monday's where we will touch on the Baltimore Orioles minor leaguers in some aspect. Today we will touch on the eight Orioles organization players that will be playing in this year's Arizona Fall League.
This year the Orioles organizational players are on the Surprise Saguaros as well as players from the Milwaukee Brewers, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers.
Baltimore has placed four pitchers and four position players on the team:
- Tim Berry – One of the Orioles top young pitching arms who went 11-7 with a 3.85 ERA for the High-A Frederick Keys this season.
- Jason Gurka – A right handed reliever primarily, Gurka went 2-2 with a 2.95 ERA in 20 games for the AA Bowie Baysox with four saves.
- Branden Kline – A power arm and Maryland raised, Kline made seven starts for the Low-A Delmarva Shorebirds with a 1-2 record and a 5.86 ERA.
- Eduardo Rodriguez – The second ranked pitching prospect behind Dylan Bundy, Rodriguez has had a fantastic year, as he posted a 10-7 record with a 3.41 ERA in 25 starts between Frederick and Bowie and is only the ripe age of 20 years old.
- Michael Ohlman – One of four catchers on the Saguaros roster, Ohlman was one of the best offensive players in the Orioles minor leagues this season hitting .313 with 13 homers, 29 doubles and 53 RBI with the Keys.
- Jonathan Schoop – He needs no introduction as we got to see in Baltimore that he is the second baseman of the future as he picked up his first MLB career home run in September with the Birds. This will provide Schoop with an opportunity to iron out some things as he prepares to fight for a roster spot in 2014 with the O's.
- Dariel Alvarez – One of two Cuban defector's for the Orioles in the AFL, Alvarez was signed in July of this year and is considered a player to watch in the organization. Alvarez hit .342 in 79 at bats spread over three minor league teams in the Gulf Coast League Orioles, Keys and Baysox.
- Henry Urrutia – Another player we got to see in Baltimore at times this year, Urrutia has some developing to do, especially defensively and with his power at the plate and this fall will provide him with more game action to further work on things.
We will keep you up to date on all eight of the Orioles organizational players in the Arizona Fall League as the season progresses and the Saguaros will open the season tomorrow, October 8 as they will take on the Peoria Javelinas.
If you have never heard of the Arizona Fall League, shame on you. It is a great offseason league that all MLB organizations take advantage of to help groom their prospects to get some more work. The league is celebrating its 20th season this year and has produced such greats as Chris Davis, Paul Konerko, Michael Young, Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, Roy Halladay and Albert Pujols to name a few. The Arizona Fall League consists of six teams with each team having players from five MLB organizations. Congrats to the Orioles organizational players that are in Arizona.
Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Orioles101
Add us on Google+ Orioles101
Follow us on Twitter for all Orioles breaking news @Orioles_101
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1262