The Atlanta Braves won't be without Brian McCann or Freddie Freeman for any amount of time after the fracas involving Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez in Wednesday's loss, but Reed Johnson and Gomez have both been suspended for one game.
Gomez decided to go ahead and serve his suspension Thursday, but Johnson is appealing his suspension. If the suspension sticks, it's possible that Johnson could start the 2014 season suspended.
MLB didn't take any action against McCann, who blocked Gomez from touching home plate, or Freeman, who was tossed after inadvertently elbowing Aramis Ramirez.
"It was just such an unusual situation," Frank Wren said on braves.com. "Every time you get in a situation like this, in hindsight, there are things you wish you had done different. I think our players feel that way. But I think the reaction was probably appropriate for the situation. It was one of the most unique things I've ever seen."
Gomez has since apologized via Twitter and to the media for the situation.
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Brian McCann Right for Actions Toward Carlos Gomez
- Freddie Freeman Ejected After Carlos Gomez Homer, Atlanta Braves and Milwaukee Brewers Benches Clear
- Benches Clear Between Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers After Carlos Gomez Homer: Video
- Atlanta Braves May Want to Consider Using First Initial for Chris Johnson, Elliot Johnson, Reed Johnson
- Milwaukee Brewers’ Carlos Gomez Apologizes, Oakland A’s Brett Anderson Attempts to Troll Atlanta Braves
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11fn