The Atlanta Braves were already trailling in their 5-2 loss to the Miami Marlins on Wednesday, but things got dicey in the sixth inning when pitcher Jose Fernandez hit the first homer of his career and the benches cleared.
After Chris Johnson and Fernandez had words between innings, Fernandez started the sixth with a solo homer. After admiring the homer and flipping the bat, Fernandez spit on or around third base and got an earful from Brian McCann. Johnson entered the fray and benches and bullpens cleared.
No one was ejected or injured in the fracas, but both clubs were warned.
The only damage Fernandez incurred was a solo homer off the bat of Evan Gattis. Fernandez picked up a win in his final start of the season, allowing one run on five hits through seven innings.
The Braves' magic number remains at seven with the Washington Nationals beating the New York Mets on Tuesday.
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Benches Clear After Atlanta Braves’ Julio Teheran Hits Bryce Harper with Pitch: Video
- Mike Minor Walks Pitcher, Gives up Homer Afterward in Atlanta Braves’ Loss to Miami Marlins
- Miami Marlins Get to Craig Kimbrel, Take Series from Atlanta Braves
- Atlanta Braves Bat Around in 14th Inning of Win Over Miami Marlins
- Atlanta Braves Move Magic Number to Seven with Win Over Miami Marlins
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10lx