The 36 year-old left hander was hit with a Chase Utley comebacker in Saturday's loss to the Philadelphia Phillies. He fractured the ring finger on his right hand, which is his non-pitching hand.
Downs commented that he could not determine how the finger suffered such an injury while in his glove.
"I have no clue. I even went back and looked at film to try to figure out if it hit the back of my glove," he said. "I have no clue. I just know that when it hit my glove, it got really warm. Almost like it exploded, or whatever. After the play, when I took the glove off, I didn't know it was broken. It swelled up a little bit.
If the opportunity arises, Downs will play through the pain. His finger will be wrapped up and either taped or splinted to reduce any discomfort.
Since joining the Braves, Downs is 2-0 with a 2.31 ERA in 11.2 innings pitched.
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Atlanta Braves’ Scott Downs Has Broken Finger, not Expected to Go on Disabled List
- Atlanta Braves Make Trade for Reliever Scott Downs from Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Atlanta Braves’ Scott Downs Leaves Game Against Philadelphia Phillies After Being Drilled by Comebacker
- Atlanta Braves’ Tim Hudson Has Surgery on Broken Ankle
- Atlanta Braves Get Best Case Scenario in Jason Heyward’s Surgery on Broken Jaw
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/10kt