Recent acquisition Elliot Johnson drove in both Atlanta Braves runs with a second inning triple and starter Alex Wood pitched 5.2 innings as the Braves beat the Cleveland Indians 2-0 Monday night at Turner Field.
Wood, whose record improved to 3-2, was not particularly sharp, throwing 105 pitches, but did not allow a run. His ERA dropped to 2.27 on the season.
Danny Salazar (1-2, 3.67) recorded the loss for the Indians.
The Braves offense remained sluggish. Chris Johnson and Joey Terdoslavich added singles for Atlanta, who only mustered three hits on the night.
The leadoff spot continued to be a problem for the Braves. Jordan Schafer, who has assumed the role in place of the injured Jason Heyward went hitless in four at-bats.
Cleveland's offense outhit the Braves but could not get any runs across the plate. Shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera led the Indians offense with two hits, including a double.
Craig Kimbrel pitched a perfect ninth for his Major League leading 42nd save of the season.
The Braves will send Paul Maholm (9-10, 4.51) to the mound for the second game of the series against the Indians tomorrow night at 7:10 PM. Cleveland will counter with starter Justin Masterson (14-9, 3.50).
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!
- Cleveland Indians at Atlanta Braves: Game 131 Starting Lineups
- Atlanta Braves Kick Off Homestand with Three Games Series Against the Cleveland Indians
- Atlanta Braves Travel to Kauffman Stadium for First Time for Two-game Series with Kansas City Royals: Series Preview
- Jason Heyward Returns for Atlanta Braves in Four-game Series with New York Mets: Series Preview
- Atlanta Braves Take on New York Mets in 2 Game Series
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zs0